IGNORED

Best Version of Bach Cello Suites?

follow the money ;-) Just look up in Discogs which record commands the most, hint; it's neither of the aforementioned artists ;-)

I have auditioned quite a few by now and I do agree with what the masses vote for with their wallet (even when prices sometimes are insane).

My vote goes for either Janos Starker or Pierre Fournier, or Ludwig Hoelscher, anyone willing to part with a mint mono LP for a decent price? (EDIT: I just stumbled across a reasonably priced Fournier) 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

3 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Interesting to see that many prefer this music as refurbished by the (post-)19th century romantic tradition, with excessive rubati, dynamics and vibrato. Paradoxically such performances mostly leave me cold.

it is isn't it...taste is very personal....

Many people seem to like Mitsuko Uchida's performances, those leave me cold...to each his own ;-)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

1 minute ago, sphinxsix said:

I have about a dozen versions (all of them have already been mentioned) but I'd be very hesitant to recommend any of them in this particular place, since none of them is in Dolby Atmos.. 😉

I'm waiting for a Mono remastered Vinyl version of the Starker recording but in MQA

I too find Maisky too smooth to rate his rendition in my top three, still it's enjoyable

12 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting. I'm halfway through the book I mentioned in the original post. I haven't seen anything suggesting Anna wrote it, but I'm not done yet. 

My theory is that many of those claims, like the one saying Alma Mahler wrote much of the work attributed to Gustav, are early conspiracy theories designed by activist feminists.... ;-) 

same here, whatever tick your boxes, those adaptations usualy does not work for me...few exceptions like Max Richters adaptation of Vivaldi 

(have to add that my tolerance for that the Vivaldi type of baroque is extremely low)