IGNORED

Tuttle et al v Audiophile Music Direct

On 8/15/2022 at 3:07 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps there’s a positive side to this MoFi kerfuffle. People should now understand the benefits and quality of digital audio. I know it’s like pushing a kid down a hill on his bike, but some of us learned the hard/forced way. Vinyl lovers have now learned, through no fault or effort of their own, that digital is good. 

I’d spend $100 on the same MoFi package if it contained a USB stick of the DSD256 album, rather than the plastic disc. Sell these in limited quantities if that’s all the record label will license. 

Printing a digital file onto a piece of plastic and dragging a needle over it, absolutely can’t increase accuracy. 

P.S. I wonder what the hipsters who collect vinyl would think if it was called plastic. I fear the connotation would be too much to handle :~)

I understand what you're saying but I personally disagree. I'm a media composer so I work with both analog and digital audio daily. I predominantly listen to music digitally via Audirvana and its awesome. Sometimes I like to play a record and that is awesome too. Its a different process where there actually is one. Going through a record collection, the turntable, seeing something physical make music, etc. I'm not looking for accuracy at all. in fact its the inaccuracy that makes it what it is.

My father has a collection of over 6000 records. He played them daily and I got to choose whenever I wanted. Everything from Queen to the Muppet Show. That sound is still in my head. You can't get that sound from Digital or a crappy turntable setup. If I were to choose, I'd go digital as I really like the fidelity. When Im old and have inherited my dads collection, can't wait.

31 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Vinyl sounds better than the digital files that made it?  That's what I call dogma!!!

Vinyl sounds different than the digital files that made it obviously. The Mastering process is very different for vinyl. I like them both. I can't understand why people get all twisted about all this. Like you, I would absolutely love to get my hands on the DSD files that were used for cutting. It would sound entirely different due to the Mastering however and the playback process. Also pretty obvious. Some people like the sound of vinyl, which when done properly is glorious. Same as with digital. Vinyl can sound better than the digital files that made it. Digital can also sound worse than the digital files that made it. 

6 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

With all due respect, this is mumbo-jumbo.

Well what I'm trying to say is I think its crazy to compare the two. Vinyl is not better than digital and vice versa. Its totally possible to end up with a better sounding Vinyl master from the same digital source. This is what Mofi did without disclosing. Personally, I don't care how its done as long as it sounds good. I spend all day writing, recording, mixing and mastering music so its the last thing I think about when i just want to relax and listen. 95% of my listening is done digitally. The only albums I prefer on Vinyl in my collection are OK Computer and Apex Twins Syro. Absolutely great Vinyl masters. So yeah I think people like Fremer who put down digital are missing a lot. Same as folk who think vinyl is nothing more than needles and plastic.     

This whole thing is such a shame. Vinyl snobs are part of the problem I feel. I'm even thinking I might get some good albums in the possible fire sale. I'm happy that I just enjoy the music. Digital or analog don't matter to me as long as it sounds good. And they both do.