IGNORED

Recommended affordable pucks

This morning I did a test with different sets of feet under my Holo Audio Spring 3 Level 2 DAC:

(1) the DAC's stock feet (4)

(2) IsoAcoustics mini ISO-pucks (4)

(3) Authentic Audio Image (AAI) mini pads (4)

(4) Oroks pucks (3)

(1) is OK, but not really coherent and a bit strident in the attacks/highs.

(2) and (3) are a step up, still quite analytical, with emphasis on the highs

(3) has a slightly wider/deeper image.

(4) to my ears sounds the most 'together', musical and coherent,the least fatiguing.

My preference: (4) > (3) > (2) > (1).

The differences are subtle but certainly not unimportant, at least to me.

Prices per set as used above:

(2) €45

(3) €383

(4) €6

The price of (4) will be less surprising knowing that these are not sold by audio shops but by Decathlon as ice hockey pucks.

I am not saying the expensive ones are scam. I am sure much research went into them. And of course this is only my assessment, in my setup (which is highly resolving already). But I do think the Oroks are a nice find! (Not mine.) They are very sturdy, heavy and dense and others have reported good results using them under audio gear.

audio system

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dandou said:

Hi @bodiebill

I'll try these pucks with my DAC. 

Did you try them with audio devices other than your DAC? 

No. I would have liked to, but my (DIY) rack is such that they will not fit under the other gear (Afterdark clock, Afterdark Rosanna streamer, Audio-GD DI-20HE). See pic.

I did cut three half moons (less than half of the puck) out of the pucks to lower the maximum weight they can take and (theoretically) increase the effect. I am also surprised by their (subtle) effect. Maybe it is because they are actually doing 'nothing' and the rack -- which sits on top of Harmonix TU-505EX-MKII tuning feet and is made with Ikea bamboo butcher blocks -- is already taking care of things. Note that the rack is custom built around the Reimyo amp, with standers going through its grills.

I guess, when looking at this, I may be penny wise and pound foolish :-)

image.png.b424b56dad75a436b82cac70d6705b47.png

audio system