IGNORED

NAS w/DLNA support for flac, aiff?

I am trying to find a NAS unit that has a DLNA server built in (like twonky, minidlna, etc.) that has the ability to serve to a media controller like an iPhone or Touch both aiff files and flac files with all tagging and album art available.

I am trying to not use a computer in the setup. With a NAS unit, a wireless router/access point, a PS Audio Perfectwave DAC with a bridge, and an iPhone I can play all of my music hi and lo res, aiff and flac, without needing a computer running. Obviously I need a computer to get the files to the NAS in the chosen format, but once copied to the NAS a computer is not needed. Right now I am able to do it but I have to use 2 different DLNA servers because I cannot find a unit that will serve both with all tagging intact.

Any ideas?

Chuck

Hi Chuck - The best way I know to accomplish this requires a computer on and connected to your NAS. I use Asset UPnP on a PC with my files stored on a NAS.

Playback isn't the issue, it's metadata support as you likely know. I just responded to your post in the DS411 Slim review. I can get all the metadata except Artist name right now with AIFF over UPnP using the DS411 Slim NAS by itself.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, would it not be (even) better to use an Atom motherboard (or nettop PC) with directly attached storage to run Asset. Separating the Windows computer running Asset from the storage wouldn't ad much (IMO).

A Windows Home Server (WHS) from Acer or HP could be ideal.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"Hi Chuck - The best way I know to accomplish this requires a computer on and connected to your NAS. I use Asset UPnP on a PC with my files stored on a NAS.

Playback isn't the issue, it's metadata support as you likely know."

Agreed, but I am really trying to get it done without a computer at all. If I could use only flac files I would have it done easily, but right now I need to use AIFF files for my above 96K music selections with the PWD. Eventually this will work with flac files all the way up to 192K but while the software is being worked out, aiff files are a workaround. I also have an 8TB linux server that holds movies, music, photos, etc. and I have been 'demoing' various DLNA/uPNP servers on that to no avail.

I have found that just because something says it is DLNA compatible or certified, it doesn't tell you enough to know what it will serve or how it will serve it! And most companies do not go into any detail at all about the nuances of what there DLNA device will do or not do. It is kind of buyer beware and make sure you can return it when you find out it won't do this or that.