IGNORED

Ayre/Mac Mini

dme

Just set up new Ayre QB9 and new Mac Mini (2010) system. Using older Audio Research pre amp and PSE amp. Using RCA cables into pre amp. Followed set up Ayre website directions for Apple computer. Loaded several cds onto itunes. No audio coming out of stereo. The QB9 shows 44 when itunes is playing a song but can't get audio to speakers. What am I missing? Any help would be most welcome. Thx

I did follow all set up instructions. Embarrassed to report that unplugging the power cord and plugging it back solved the problem. It appears that the unit needed to be re-set and the re-plugging fixed it. Works perfect now. Great sound and easy to use.

Using the current version of Pure Music and a QB-9 for close to 3 months now I've had exactly 1 issue. Music stopped completely and the solution was to remove the power cord for the DAC to "reboot". I consider this a fairly good track record considering the complexities involved ...

It did take a long time to 'burn in' though. Ayre says 100-500 hrs.. Fortunately, you can leave music playing into it around the clock. I left my pre-amp powered on so the analog signal had something to dissipate into. (Input does not necessarily have to be on the QB-9.)

Leaving it playing like this, I was able to notice how the sound was evolving as the days went by.

You may also want to try Ayre or Cardas Myrtle wood blocks. Apparently all Ayre components benefit from these... With a resolving system, the difference is surprising. Tightens the soundstage. Kinda like adding glasses to improve upon a blurred image... Terrible analogy, but am sure you get the point.