IGNORED

Audio mirror tubadour III SE is the Cat's Meow!

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I am a novice to the audio world and I wanted to share my experience with a really interesting piece of kit.  Full disclosure, I am a cheap ass want the absolute most for my money.

I have experience with Ess sabre and AKM chips and, while they sound great, I am apparently sensitive to glare and harshness on them. Also, I noticed that there was a distinct loss of rhythm or flow.  I think you audiophile pros call it musicality. 

I started loads or research and decided to take a chance on a DAC that an aquaintance of mine recommended.  The Audiomirror Tubadour III SE.  It is a NOS R2R DAC based on the famous AD1865n-k chip, supplemented by duelund caps and tube output.  Sounded too unscientific and ritzy for my blood but what the hell.

I run a USB to I2S converter ($50 off Amazon) from my PC using audirvana (Qobuz) into the DAC and into a topping pre 90 then off to a parasound power amp.

I am really, really enjoying it.  Sound is smooth (almost sweet but not changing the music tone or timbre), detailed, musical, and has good bass.  I have been pulling 3 hour long jam sessions when I put the kids down for a nap.  Here's the real kicker.  Even my bravoTV loving wife sat next to me and said, "that's the best sound I've ever heard.". She doesn't pay attention to any of my audio stuff but, I shit you not, she kicked me out of the man cave to watch the kids while she had an hour long jam session. What The F.  Any married guy on here will agree that that is not something that happens normally.  We should start a website with a wife noticing scale.

I believe that the ad1865n-k is a special chip and that if it is surrounded by quality parts, it really will treat you well.  It's reputation precedes it.

Also, Mr. Vlad, Audiomirror owner, goes above and beyond with customer service.  It is important to me to have my emails responded to.  

Thank you all for humoring a rookie like me and God Bless.

Kind Regards,

Joe

P.s. Do any of you guys know of any other well built AD1865n-k DACs or maybe tda1541a DACs that are fantastic for their price?

I have previously owned a Marantz with an AD chip and a DAC with an AKM chip in it.  They both worked very well.  I remember the Marantz was very airy and had amazing deep base (shook the floors).  The problem for me was that it was harsh in the high frequencies and no matter how much room dampening I did, it would really drive me crazy.  The AKM, for me, was more accurate but not as exciting.  Sometimes it didn't sound like music but just sounds or instruments.  It was very odd.  Like I said before, I am a rookie and don't have a huge amount of experience owning different DACs and I know my shortfalls are great.  I just wanted a DAC that didn't hurt my ears, and sounded natural and coherent.  The Audiomirror does that for me and I wish everyone finds their musical nirvana no matter what way they go.

Kind Regards,

Joe