IGNORED

Help with USB to AES/EBU converter?

I need to use from 50 feet of length of cable between my Mac book Pro and my DAC (I currently use 30 feet of Cardas Neutral Reference in SPDIF format with RSA Enopias USB - works great with BelCanto 24/96 Link) so am planning on moving to USB to AES/EBU converter then 50feet of the AES/EBU Cardas Neutral etc. Is Empirical Audio the best USB to AES/EBU converter out there?.

Not USB but the Weiss INT202 is a well respected FireWire to AES (and SPDIF) converter. Also "coming soon" is the Berkerley Audio converter.

Never seen any comparisons...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I sure am hoping so! I have an order in to Steve now and am planning to run about the same length as you. The guys at Mach2 Music have nothing but great things to say about Steve's digital expertise.

Jeff

Aurender N100H, Kimber USB, Uptone Regen, PS Audio Directstream dac, Siltech 550I ICs balanced, Oasis S200 Monoblocks, AQ Red Wood Speaker Cable, Magico S5 speakers.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Just wonder with which USB to AES/EBU converter you settled.

I am using the Hiface Evo, in combination with the Wadia 27ix (gnsc).

The AT&T glass cable really works for me.

It still can be better, but I won't complain ;-).

Did you think about the Wadia U upgrade ?

linux musicserver, jeff rowland aeris da, jeff rowland coherence series II, pass x250.5, audio physic caldera mkII & acoustat spectra 22 & Genelec 8050

Old post here of course.

I think you would be better off with one of the USB buffered extenders from Monoprice and a short AES/EBU cable. Even Charles Hansen found they did little wrong in a length of 82 feet. Various lengths are available.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/USB-Extender-Solves-Cable-Length-Limitation

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

although this topic is indeed old . . .

A friend of mine uses a (long) st glasscable (AT&T) and that really works.

It's designed for longer distances.

The sound . . . detailed & refined.

linux musicserver, jeff rowland aeris da, jeff rowland coherence series II, pass x250.5, audio physic caldera mkII & acoustat spectra 22 & Genelec 8050

• 2 weeks later...