IGNORED

Article: The Audio Impact of Solar Panels and Battery Backup: Introduction, Installation & Initial Listen

I have a 2300W grid-tied system, installed 2011 before prices of panels really dropped. I made sure to buy US-built PV panels but the microinverters were made in China. Six inverters failed within the first year and the manufacturer paid to replace all. 

My city has its own power utility. I don’t understand why Public utilities are not the norm. The city has hydro, natural gas, and PV generation, buys the rest on the market including about 10% portfolio in wind. The first, I think, 400 kWh are billed at about $0.10 per kWh and the price is tiered upward with increasing usage. Between the low rates and my relatively expensive system, I figure about 20 years to break even. But that’s not why I did it.

Never once thought about how the system might affect the sonics of my audio system. Maybe grid-tied changes nothing but I didn’t notice any change back in 2011. My wife was concerned about sleeping under the panels above our bedroom but I pointed out the power leaves with the sun.

The Tesla batteries seem cool but I hold Musk in the same regard as Bezos. Just not gonna give those dudes my money.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

My 2300W system provides about one-half of my annual usage (I’m in northern Utah which gets tons of summer sun but lots of clouds during winter). I can easily imagine an efficient house in NM, with relatively even solar radiation throughout the year, getting by with a 4 kW system.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables