IGNORED

Oggo´s power supply shoot-out (using the example of an Uptone EtherRegen)

On 7/23/2022 at 8:11 AM, Liam said:

What would be interesting is if you tried a iFi DC iPurifier 2 at the ER input using the stock psu versus the others alone, and to see if the DC iPurifier improved the others or not.

I had been using a very early production Uptone LPS-1.2, which died on me recently, to power my EtherRegen at 12v.  I then replaced it with an iFi SilentPower iPower2 at 12v/1.8a.  My initial impression surprised me - the iFi sounded much better right off the bat than I remember my LPS-1.2 ever did!  I now believe that my LPS-1.2 must have slowly degraded over time, such that I didn't realize it was happening.  In addition, I didn't understand why the subjective volume level of my system seemed to fluctuate from week to week for some time.  However, at the same voltage rating of 12v, using the iFi iPower2 is now playing louder by about 3dB - i.e., I turned the preamp level down by that amount to get the same subjective volume.  I got the iFi as an inexpensive placeholder while I decided which new LPS to get.  I already have a Hypsos with an SR Orange fuse powering my Pi2AES streamer at 30v with excellent results.  The iFi is working so well, I will take my time whether to get another Hypsos or not.

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

33 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Are you using the ER ground with the iPower? 

No, I'm not.  Should I?

WAN (direct from router - no other switches in signal path) or LAN (NAS) > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > BJC Cat 6a > DX Engrg DXE ISO-Plus > Uptone Audio EtherRegen powered by Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 @12v with AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10 MHz External Master Clock powered by AfterDark Modernize LPS > RPi4b/Pi2AES powered by Ferrum Hypsos LPS at 24v running Volumio as end point using Spotify Desktop App or JRiver > I2S over ethernet UTP > Metrum Onyx NOS DAC w/DAC3 Upgrade Modules > balanced AES/EBU > PS Audio SGC Preamp > balanced AES/EBU > Parasound A23 > NHT Classic Towers with dual sealed NHT subwoofers using miniDSP digital xover

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Again, this is only if you are utilizing more than one of the 'A' side ports. Nothing makes it across the EtherREGEN's active-differential-isolation moat to the 'B' port.

I only have one A-side connection to my EtherREGEN - directly from my router, so I guess I am OK?

I'm searching the net to see if I can find any new measurements of iFi leakage currents.  I try not to make generalizations based on measurements of older generations of equipment.  I am as cynical as the next guy about over-hyped Chinese Hi-Fi equipment, but my ears are telling me something else in my current case.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, audiobomber said:

In this system, replacing the N8 SMPS with an iPower2 provided a noticeable boost in sound quality, and grounding the iPower was audible, so I'm pretty sure that grounding an iPower that is directly powering the ER would be useful.

OK, I just fabricated and installed a copy of John Swenson's SMPS grounding adapter between my iPower 2 and my EtherREGEN.  It is definitely staying in my system.  My immediate impression playing my very favorite songs is improved clarity and definition from an inky black background.  Thanks @audiobomberand John Swenson!

On 8/12/2022 at 12:26 PM, audiobomber said:

You may want to try the original power supply for the ER (no ground required). Just yesterday, I compared and found it superior to a grounded iPower X 9V, which is an upgrade over the standard iPower SMPS. Treble was cleaner with the supplied ER SMPS.

I get different results from @audiobomber.  As he correctly states, this can happen with different systems and different listener preferences.  In my system with an improved version of John Swenson's SMPS grounding adapter with my iPower 2, I clearly get improved clarity and definition, particularly in the bass frequencies versus the stock Meanwell SMPS from Uptone Audio.  I hear improved bass extension and dynamics, but this may be a result of the clarity and definition improvements, which are not subtle.  Hand-in-hand with more overall clarity and definition is improved sound stage imaging.

Here is a photo of my improved Swenson grounding adapter made using 14 gauge solid copper wire:

Swenson SMPS Ground Adapter.jpg

See my user profile for a diagram of my system.  YMMV.

23 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Nice, but a simple ground wire on the ER would achieve the same result. 

I should have thought of that myself.  However, with my typical single-minded focus and the fact that John Swenson hadn't mentioned it, I made it more complicated than it needs to be.  The engineer in me also says I need to actually try it myself - but I can't see how it would be any different unless there is something weird inside the ER or my system with ground loops - highly unlikely.  Thanks.  

OK, I just removed my improved Swenson SMPS grounding adapter and grounded the ER directly using its ground connector.  I do not hear any difference between the two grounding approaches.

Good catch @audiobomber!  Much simpler solution.