IGNORED

External DAC vs new receiver

CB

• 9 months later...

I'm a newbie so please bare with me...I'm interested i your experience with the Denons...were there any improvements in the 3808ci that would tilt your preference away from the DAC + amp? I have the chance to buy a 3808ci for around $ 550. Don't know how lovingly it was cared for...alternative is to buy an integrated stereo (maybe hybrid), a peachtree + amp, or a Dac Magic Plus + amp.

My goal is to listen to music and movies w/ stereo speakers, avoiding unnecessary conversions along the way, and getting a lush sound for string instruments and vocals, and decent percussion (flamenco, clapping and box drum)

I will play CDs from Oppo but will mostly stream Mog, Pandora, iTunes and (oneday soon) higher quality files from my mac via an airport express. I don't know how good the Cirrus DAC in the Oppo 93 is, vs. external, so I might end up using an external even with the CDs.

One other question: low cost tube hybrids vs solid state? can you really get great sound from a 350 dollar tube amp? And what is more useful for sound quality-tube amp or preamp? (so much to learn here!)

Thanks to you and anyone else who reads this (Eloise, Paul, Rebel, etc)

Nal

Paradigm Studio 10s[br]Oppo 93[br]Technics SA DX 1050 (!)[br]iMac, iTunes