IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

On 5/31/2022 at 11:19 PM, Miska said:

I'm now using two very similar devices. HA 200 + Solitaire P for one of headphone systems and DAC 200 for my main loudspeaker system. So I'm very well covered in this respect! 🙂

I got the exact same gear last November. Very proud indeed. I now want to add a couple of M200s for my birthday! 

I would appreciate any guidance on how best to tweak HQP for the DAC200, for Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I have a couple of spare GPUs if they can take some load off the ThreadRipper 5995WX under the hood.

LP

• 3 weeks later...

I concur...

Updating firmware via PCs is a dodgy enterprise at best. Anything could go wrong, from sudden power drops, to missed connections, to Cylons sucking the power dry at the worst moment.

Even using the MP200, I had to run the process a couple of times for each of the DAC200 and HA200, but the MP200 is very well designed, and best suited to carry out the job where a failure occurs.

As @jonniema suggested, if you don't own an MP200, please find a dealer who does, and take your prized device there for an update.

I especially would not attempt this update with any version of MS Windows... IMHO!

LP

Wow!

This is excellent information, which only an insider can provide.

There are RS232 D-SUB to RJ45 cables available (like the ones used for CISCO Routers). Or D_SUB to USB as stated earlier.

I think a step-by-step guide for those who may not be too familiar with the cables or process might be handy.

Thank you OE333.

LP

• 4 weeks later...

Unboxing generally, is a kind of a personal high. I don't know if it's the same for other esteemed members here.

For me personally, Unboxing experience for the T+A gear was special. I can't say if it was because of the packaging or the sheer feel of the aluminum kit therein. The only other comparison I had was probably unboxing the Oppo PM-1s when they came out a few years ago.

Then you connect it all, and spend hours tweaking, listening to various material, comparing with similar gear, and generally behaving like a 5 year old with a new Lego set.

Kudos to the design teams, the quality of the equipment and the ability to use tools like HQP with them.

LP

• 6 months later...

@Hydrology You most certainly won't regret it. I first purchased the DAC200, and a pair of M200s last November. In January I added the MP200.

The manual was so tempting, that I purchased a single A200 for the Highs/Mid for my Sonus Faber Olympica Nova IIIs and the M200s for the Lows.

The HA200 is in a separate room for private listening with the Solitaire P.

Be prepared! Your favourite music will sound 'unlocked'. I can't say more about the quality of dedication by the T+A team to excellence.

now, if only I could afford the Aurender N30... A guy can only dream!

LP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
16 hours ago, e.Latte said:

I have a question about the MP 200 when using with the DAC 200. I have listened for many hours using my T+A MP 200 connected directly to the DAC 200 and I have compared it to using my computer to connect to the DAC 200 to stream from services like Qobuz and Tidal. I prefer the sound of the MP 200 when it comes to streaming and use the DAC 200 with my computer when I want to listen to DSD. 

Is there an advantage to using the T+A MP 200 with the DAC 200? After many hours of listening I find myself really enjoying the sound of the MP 200. 

16 hours ago, e.Latte said:

I have a question about the MP 200 when using with the DAC 200. I have listened for many hours using my T+A MP 200 connected directly to the DAC 200 and I have compared it to using my computer to connect to the DAC 200 to stream from services like Qobuz and Tidal. I prefer the sound of the MP 200 when it comes to streaming and use the DAC 200 with my computer when I want to listen to DSD. 

Is there an advantage to using the T+A MP 200 with the DAC 200? After many hours of listening I find myself really enjoying the sound of the MP 200. 

LP

Hi @e.Latte

I have the MP200 and HA200 hooked up in my bedroom at the moment. The MP200 was originally in the listening room hooked up to the DAC200, but it was replaced by the Aurender N30SA a few months ago.

The combination of the MP200 and either HA200/DAC200 (hereinafter referred to as X200), is an excellent combination for the following reasons:

1. The MP200 can seamlessly upgrade the firmware of the X200;
  2. The CD Player/Streamer combination makes the need for an external CD Player/transport a moot point
  3. If you have quite a few Digital connections (more than the X200 provides), then MP200 sports a few extras too
  4. You can power on/off both units from either by the click of a single button
  5. all digital data from the MP200 to the X200 remains in the digital domain, and helps to reduce jitter
  6. the combination looks aesthetically pleasing to the eye :D

LP