IGNORED

Article: New Schiit Yggdrasil Blind Listening Comparison

It's quite obvious, to me, from Chris's description that the LiM is the most accurate, by far, when used in that particular system. The signature of what you hear should be set by what's on the recording, rather than by a particular component in the chain - unless, of course, your interest is in editoralising, using the rig.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Hear what you expect to hear, is more like it:

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/609045

Or, Auditory Scene Analysis ... introduced by Bregman nearly 20 years ago, to describe how the brain attempts to make sense of what it hears - so 'adjusts' what comes in, so that it fits in with patterns of sound you're familiar with - and allows you to ignore sounds that "aren't important", at that moment. An example: the phone rings, and you just don't hear it, because your mind is concentrating on other sounds, right at that minute.

Which works up to a point ... the brain has its limits - because we're human 😁 - and at some point the irritating, irrelevant sound element breaks through; and once it's there, in your consciousness, you can't get rid of it ... 😉.

18 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Depends on what you mean by "hear it,"  We have a grandfather clock that rings the hour and once on the half hour... I'm sure I "hear it" in the sense that my brain receives the input from my ears,  but my brain ignores it so I rarely "hear it" in the sense that I consciously register it.

not really sure how that fits into this conversation but I like to participate 😉

It's about what makes listening to one DAC 'nicer' than another - they all produce distortion in a form which is measurable at some level; it has to be so, otherwise they would sound completely identical, would be impossible to pick them apart. Since they have 'character', which one is "best"? Well, to me, the one that allows the brain to focus on the positives of the recording, rather than the negatives, is the preferred - distortions which in an ideal world wouldn't be there are still in the sound space; but, I don't "hear them", 😉.