IGNORED

Article: The Denafrips Design Philosophy Part 1

[quote]Does the low-cost DAC sound better than the higher cost DAC?[/quote]

“Sound better” to whom, the designer?

There’s no such thing as a universal “sounds better”... It’s a personal, subjective call, a matter of preference.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Do you mean Denafrips? Then take a look at Amir's measurement results: https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166/

His conclusion: 

I have great respect for engineers who think outside the box and are humble. And that's what this article is about, as I understand it: Not everything we hear in reality can be measured. 😉

I enjoyed reading the “interview” but found it at times to be somewhat apologetic, as if preparing the reader for potential technical issues by using the “what matters is that it sounds good” excuse.

1 hour ago, Rcanoe said:

I have dodged the bullet many times by auditioning systems with good reviews and manufacturing pedigree

Interestingly good reviews and manufacturing pedigree are subjective, nothing to do with measurements.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Excuse?

In the sense that sometimes a designer or engineer will opt for a particular topology or technology that may not produce excellent technical performance/measurements but or because it may sound good to him. The “to him” is crucial here because there is no universal good/pleasing sound and thus it makes his choice a personal subjective one. What sounds good to him may not sound good to me or you.

Think Vandersteen’s phase coherence banner technology which is achieved at the expense of as good as possible performance in other parameters, some recognised by the majority of experts as being at least as if not more important/audible.

I am still giving Denafrips the benefit of the doubt until I read the remaining parts. Thanks for pulling this through.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:08 PM, George47 said:

Just a picky point, Alvin Chee is the owner of Vinshine Audio, the worldwide distributor (and a great guy for service) and not Zhao,  who is the designer at Denafrips.

Thanks for making this clear.