IGNORED

SMSL D3 new flagship R2R dac coming out in August

This D3 was supposed to have come in the fall of  2019 as the D2 model, but we know..... Now the D2 will be AKM 4499 based unit, and the flagship will be called D3.

It uses 2 Burr Brown NOS 1704 chips per channel , and its form factor is similar to the D1 ESS 9038 Pro based dac. The updates from 2019 test unit include better dynamic range, etc.

I think  the D3 should turn out to be something special. Should be very competitive with the Musician Audio Aquarius, HOLO, etc.   The  exact price is not known, but was told to be around US$2000, hope its less though 😊.   Feel free to contribute any new details, or if anyone has tested please share your impressions.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 2.29.09 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 7:02 AM, Larry Man said:

Hello,

May i know where did you hear the news about the D3 and where did you get the picture of it ?

I will be very interested in seeing this new model become available. I am currently using the D1se and i personally think it is an awesome DAC ! 

Thanks

I ve managed to get the info from dealer representing the manufacturer as I have been nagging them for the last two years for the release info. There will be a  new D2 using the AKM 4499 chip, you could see its picture on the Shenzehn Audio' Facebook page. The  former "d2" has become D3. There is a big "BUT" though, there is still no guarantee that the unit will be released, despite the dealer assuring me the unit is a go. That is why I would have liked other folks  with any inside info to chime in....

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Larry Man said:

It seems over-priced at $3,500 USD. Hope its performance lives up to its price tag !

It is also facing a huge challenger like Holo Audio Spring 3. For the same price majority of people will choose Spring 3 for sure. 

Well we shall see how it performs...  I ordered one, as I have had D1 and loved it ... Should  get it in a week or so.....

4 hours ago, KIKIWILLYBEE said:

Hi ,

it’s not a discret R2R ,(chip nos bbx4)

and output stage with AOP. , not SE. or discret …

ur’s 

w ;-).

The chip design is not as important as the circuit implementation I d say. If a given dac has discreet resistor design does not make it "better" sounding than  the "delta sigma" or R2R based dacs...There are other countless factors.    I ve seen the D3 circuit design and have shown to people in the digital  audio design engineering, and they were very impressed with it... so the proof will be in the listening as they say 😉

5 hours ago, Larry Man said:

It seems over-priced at $3,500 USD. Hope its performance lives up to its price tag !

It is also facing a huge challenger like Holo Audio Spring 3. For the same price majority of people will choose Spring 3 for sure. 

The "majority of people" eat  at Macdonalds :) And your   point being  as it relates to how the D3 will sound is.......?

4 hours ago, KIKIWILLYBEE said:

Hi ,

it’s not a discret R2R ,(chip nos bbx4)

and output stage with AOP. , not SE. or discret …

ur’s 

w ;-).

There  are both cons and pros on chip based R2R vs the discreet designs... The reason delta sigma chips had become prevalent in dacs is because it was so much cheaper and easier to manufacture... the 1704 chip had very strict tolerances....

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve the mid model on order, the VMVD2.  It’s shipped from,

https://apos.audio/products/smsl-vmv-d2-dac-digital-to-analog-converter?_pos=2&_sid=86b71afa7&_ss=r

I’ve run a Modwright Transporter, and a Benchmark Dac3 off a Roon Nuc, or open source squeeze server for quite a while.  Would love to get the D3 but it’s a bridge too far these days.  Hope you get your order filled.  I’m looking forward to foolin’ around with the D2.  The new Beatles ‘Let It Be’ off of Qobuz the other dat, thru the Dac3 was off the hook good, like hearing it for the first time, but way better, so it’s got a pretty high bar to clear.  Say what you will about the Dac3 Ess high frequency ‘halo’, but the damn thing is as honest as the day is long and kicks like a mule.  Clear as a bell.  Should be an interesting comp…

I finally got the D3 in the house (after lengthy  transit delays from China & Hong Kong)! Going to put it into second music  system for burn in for about 300 hours or two weeks 24/7 . Thus far after playing 20-30 reference tracks  it does  sounds the most "analogue", and "digitis-free" of any  10-12, or so dacs  of various price levels I ve tested  within the last 4 -5 years.... Shall report  on the D3 sound impressions in couple of weeks.

IMG_4590.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 2:35 AM, AudioLibiertarian said:

I finally got the D3 in the house (after lengthy  transit delays from China & Hong Kong)! Going to put it into second music  system for burn in for about 300 hours or two weeks 24/7 . Thus far after playing 20-30 reference tracks  it does  sounds the most "analogue", and "digitis-free" of any  10-12, or so dacs  of various price levels I ve tested  within the last 4 -5 years.... Shall report  on the D3 sound impressions in couple of weeks.

IMG_4590.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG

Any initial impressions or is the unit still cooking? :)

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

12 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Any initial impressions or is the unit still cooking? :)

After 20 days of non stop playing , I d say its a VERY refined and musical sounding unit. It is very naturally "organic"  (I know its a widely used and abused term, but its term that comes to mind, if you know what actual live classical music sounds like) and nuanced sounding , but does not imbue music with artificial sense of caramel sweetness and "smoothness" that I could not stand with ALL the dacs (regardless of price) that I ve tried that use AKM 4499 chips.... Neither  does it have somewhat processed sense of the ESS 9038 based units.  The last R2R I ve tried in Feb was Musician Pegasus, and this unit is an a different, much higher sonic league.  It does have its own sonic signature however, more to the tune of turntable, also a sense of smoothness somewhat, but it differs from the AKM 4499 based dacs. Its not as "flashy" sounding, more "matter a fact " sound.  Its firmware has been stable so far (knock on the wood). Seems like decent amount of engineering and programming has gone into its design.

Worth its asking price in my opinion, if you have "high end" ancillary gear to show its full potential. I use mine in a very revealing high end speaker based system. Your tastes in sound may differ than mine, so the above is strictly IMHO. I am keeping the unit  in my  main music system for long term.

It just ‘sounds’ right.  I’ve never owned or heard a r2r dac, so account 4 that.  I’ve lived a long time with a Modwright Transporter, a Yamaha CDS-2000, and  my Benchmark Dac3 HGC.  So an early AKM ‘miracle dac’ with a tube rollers dream as its output stage.  Limited resolution compared to much of todays offerings, but with direct Ethernet connection, oled display, ect…. I still love that thing and have a couple of the smaller Touches around in garage and deck service.  I spent a lot of time with iPeng b4 moving to my Roon nuc.  The Dac3 is a great dac, with its 2 additional rca inputs.  I ran my turntable setup and a Nakamichi tape player thru those.  Nice remote too.  The ESS does have its own slight ‘halo’ though.  

This is my first SMSL product.  I’ve several tube amps around, but mostly it’s the Denafrips Hyperion and either Hestia or Athena into a pr. of ZU DW’s or ProAc 1sc each with a Rel T9i sub.  The VMVD2 has a bit more relaxed presentation.  It seems natural yet full of micro details.  It’s a bit more ‘open’ I guess so it seems better layering and depth.  It’s got a wide soundstage.  It’s,a bit more precise, focused, refined I suppose.  Background vocals are easier to discern.  Tone thru the Denafrips is rich, rather sumptuous, but I’m not sure about the ‘sweet’ reference, it’s certainly not syrupy, nor particularly colored.  Warm, smooth?  Maybe.  The unit doesn’t have any of the predefined tone mods like the D1, so it’s pretty straight ahead.  I only have used the usb, optical, digital inputs so far, not the I2S.  I did throw the new Sting utube video thru the Bluetooth and it sounded pretty damn good.  Great music from the Pantheon in Paris, check it out.  The remote is also very nice.  Running amp direct sounded very transparent, but not thin at all, some may prefer that but I really want to still enjoy my vinyl setup.  I suspect it’s volume control is very good.  The whole unit comes across as having some weight, some body, some soul, as the music just breathes.  It’s got its own pulse, pretty damn good I’d say, particularly run thru the ‘bypass balanced’ inputs of the Athena buffered preamp.  The thing just stonks it, thinks itself a $50k stack of Brit kit.  No complaints, but would love to hear a D3.  

“It doeshave its own sonic signature however, more to the tune of turntable, also a sense of smoothness somewhat, but it differs from the AKM 4499 based dacs. Its not as "flashy" sounding, more "matter a fact " sound.”

Its taken a bit to get my head around the ‘flashy’ reference, but last night I remembered the Burr Brown chips in both the D3 and my Yamaha CD-S2000.

PCM 1792a totl and the D3 PCM 1704 chipset.  So in context I think I get it.  The Yamaha has a very elegant presentation so I think I get the ‘house sound’ being less flashy.  That’s a good analogy.  Makes me want to hear the D3 even more.  A bit of understated refinement of which that 1704 design is perhaps the best representation of.  I’d hang on to it, as my appreciation for the presentation of my CDS simply grew over time.  

2 hours ago, Iluzun said:

“It doeshave its own sonic signature however, more to the tune of turntable, also a sense of smoothness somewhat, but it differs from the AKM 4499 based dacs. Its not as "flashy" sounding, more "matter a fact " sound.”

Its taken a bit to get my head around the ‘flashy’ reference, but last night I remembered the Burr Brown chips in both the D3 and my Yamaha CD-S2000.

PCM 1792a totl and the D3 PCM 1704 chipset.  So in context I think I get it.  The Yamaha has a very elegant presentation so I think I get the ‘house sound’ being less flashy.  That’s a good analogy.  Makes me want to hear the D3 even more.  A bit of understated refinement of which that 1704 design is perhaps the best representation of.  I’d hang on to it, as my appreciation for the presentation of my CDS simply grew over time.  

The dac chips while  very important , are not the only determining factors in dac's sound these days. There are other factors: power supply and overall logic board design, plus firmware robustness, and  programming quality  of other chips in the circuit is also very important.

3 hours ago, Iluzun said:

Also, the 1792 is somewhat different sounding than the 1704 , although there are several variants of the 1704 chips, supposedly each having its own signature. Not having heard them all side by side I m not able to comment which is preferred in a particular situation.

Your D2 seems like an excellent dac by any measure though!

Well, a tad ‘sweet & flashy’, I can live with.  Matches up well with the augmented 10” in the DW’s.

Here’sthe only internal pics I could find of the D2…. I think the Rotel Tribute CD player I own also uses a TI chip,  its very musical and robust in its presentation.  Not quite as ‘flashy’ as the D2…(-;  Ohh, I really dislike the pointed feet & pucks, a pain to fiddle with.  The D3 looks to have a better set-up.

CC49C6A0-33DC-4304-9CCD-5843028DB7D6.jpeg

11A3E049-5B58-46AF-A99A-7BDB74239874.jpeg

06A01A2A-3C31-41C0-9C36-23991ED934F8.jpeg

4CDB26E4-318C-45EE-AF4C-82F55768D441.jpeg

854A9214-DA27-446C-BF23-02E34C12036D.jpeg

9000818F-ACB6-43DC-987D-AA993C65A01A.jpeg

85ED9AEA-D38A-48C4-90A1-8FEFA3E41FE0.jpeg