IGNORED

Daphile or Audiophile Optimizer

Hello Mark,

How can you compare an OS with a Windows Optimizer? They are two completely different entities...

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

7 hours ago, Armsan said:

Hello Mark,

How can you compare an OS with a Windows Optimizer? They are two completely different entities...

Windows Optimizer is more like 'Windows hackimizer'. I have tried it and stopped because it make things sound worse to me. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Windows Optimizer is more like 'Windows hackimizer'. I have tried it and stopped because it make things sound worse to me. 

That’s the another reason I looked for another option, because I noticed that the very latest version of windows un-optimised sounded better than AO (server 2019)and I stopped using it for listening to my music. At first I thought I was imagining it but I kept going back to the standard windows to listen to my music and did not have a desire to change back to AO. 
In the end we are all after the best sounding option for playback and I for me it is Daphile without any doubt.

I would suggest that everyone at least give it a go it can be installed on a USB stick runs from memory and as a bonus you may find that the DAC you have will be able to do higher DSD rates.

12 hours ago, Mark Labbett said:

So you agree Daphile sounds better?

That wasn’t my point, Mark. It was the lack of accuracy of your thread’s subject.

For instance, you could have written: “ Daphile or Windows 10, (Windows Server 2016, etc), with Audophile Optimizer which sounds best? “.

And yes, it’s very important to mention the Windows OS because, with AO, the SQ achieved is different. Not all Windows OS’s are created equal in terms of SQ.

Regarding the core of your subject, I’ve done that path many years ago so I don’t remember exactly which one I preferred but, the Windows setup was with Windows Server 2016 and previously 2012, dual PC, no GUI and AO in both machines. 
Maybe it doesn’t help, because of convenience matters but, I learned that to get the most of a music OS, other features like no Wi-Fi, no router, load the OS in RAM, etc, are mandatory.

Taiko Audio Extreme server, MSB Reference Transport, MSB Select DAC with 33 Femto clock, 2 PSUs, powered by Torus AVR 16. Accuphase A-250 powered by Torus AVR 16, each. TAD Reference One.

I was try to make a simple comparison of 2 products both designed for audiophiles one free and one not I have tried both and even though i spent my money on one i found the free one to be much better.

I appreciate what Audiophile Optimizer offered at the time, as it was (in it's simplest form) easier to setup and use, but like I mentioned something happened that made the updated version of windows sound better than the AO version(for me anyway).

Daphile has a slight learning curve but at its core it does exactly what I and many others are after, an OS just for music stripped down to the bare minimum which is what AO tries to achieve as well, I agree it is a basic comparison but that is how I wanted it as there are so many variables that it would become impossible to list them all and it would make the comparison just to difficult. Like I said AO was great for the time I used it, I just (for my needs anyway) found something better based on the principle of audio only, minimal processes and fantastic sound. 

I certainly wasn't trying to turn people away from AO for a lot of people it will be the better option especially if you don't want to have to learn something new(although it is not that hard as i managed to do it).

Daphile can be picky on what WiFi adapters it will accept(still trying to get one, and having to use direct Ethernet for connection) as well as the DAC's that are compatible, so Daphile will certainly not be for some but it is free and I would recommend that everyone at least try it as you may very well be very surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

I control Daphile using Wi-Fi and have used Wi-Fi from a Daphile laptop. It is not that picky but the Wi-Fi needs to setup properly.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects