IGNORED

just gone Daphile, and it is the bees knees

After a couple more reboots of RoPieee still no updated beta, so I tried to at least see if I could get basic LMS working. I fired up an LMS Docker container that I had set up a while back and flashed piCorePlayer onto an SD card and put that into the RPi4. Fiddled with a few parameters, but got my previous DSD hiss. Finally worked out that I needed to change the pCP "Device supports DSD/DoP" setting to 3:u32be (at least for my setup) and now DSD sounds fine.

Getting late here; will try to apply this to the Daphile setup later and maybe just use pCP instead of RoPieee.

As expected, Daphile works fine with the DSDPlayer plugin and pCP on the RPi4. So I tried adding C-3PO - using the great guidance from @stefano_mbp. The only difference is I wanted to output dsf, not wav. No problem upsampling flac to DSD512, but I couldn't get any dsf files to play at all. Daphile skipped over any dsf files in the playlist.

If I switch C-3PO output format to wav, then the dsf files play. Does this mean that C-3PO is upsampling/transcoding to dsf at DSD512 then converting to wav?

Is there any way of upsampling dsf to DSD512 and outputting as dsf?

Here are my settings for dsf output:

Transcoder.png.e76f48cf11d84a3a0213ff42df2eb62d.png

20 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

Never tried before … just tried now, same behavior as yours.

but reading (Italian only) something from the developer it seems that only pcm to dsd upsample is possible, dsd/dsf can be transcoded to wav or flac.

Thanks for trying. I did a little experimenting by running LMS under Windows 10 on the same PC as Daphile (which I run off a USB stick). It runs an i7-9700T (note the T - so actually a bit slow). Output was still to the RPi4 with pCP.

Now with LMS and C-3PO I actually do apparently get an option to transcode dsf to dsf. This can be seen in the File Type Transcoding Table under C-3PO. (With Daphile I didn't get the dsf option at all if I was transcoding to dsf.)

LMS.PNG.f35c4455c055ac7f62b2203343b57a1c.PNG

Unfortunately, I also get a message under C-3PO that says "Unable to run C-3PO transcoder see server log." I can't see any obvious problem in the log, although I'm no expert.

When I select dsf as the output format, whether it's transcoding from flac or upsampling dsd, I get stuttering or warbling; I think sox is struggling, although total CPU usage is under 30%. Some cores are hitting 100% occasionally. But of course I don't know what sort of error there is with C-3PO.

So all in all a little frustrating; I feel that if all the stars were properly aligned I should be able to upsample to DSD512 with Daphile.

I'm going to leave it here for now, as I've spent too much time on this. Thanks again for all the help.

2 hours ago, lotusaurus said:

I'm going to leave it here for now, as I've spent too much time on this. Thanks again for all the help.

OK, so I lied.

I fired up Daphile and took a look at the C-3PO Transcoding Helper dropdown next to pCP under Player. I saw an error message about the player not being R2 compliant (or something like that). I had earlier read somewhere that the player needed the -W option, and it was certainly there in pCP, but I thought I might as well just restart pCP.

After doing that, suddenly I could play my dsf DSD256 file upsampled to DSD512 (I think - more below). I added a flac file to the playlist, and that also upsampled to dsf at DSD512. But when I went back to the dsf file, I got the same earlier behaviour - Daphile just skipped over any dsf files.

For fun, I restarted pCP and - yes, the dsf file played fine (upsampled). But after that track, it was back to skipping dsf files. It seems that whenever I restart pCP, I can play a single dsf track. After that, upsampling to dsf still works, but only on non-dsf files.

@stefano_mbp Interested in trying to reproduce this?

One caveat is that I'm not 100% sure that my DAC is receiving DSD512. I don't want to go into the minimalist lights that the DAC uses; bottom line is that it looks like DSD512, but not quite. I'm checking with the manufacturer.

I have found that DXD 32/384(wavepack) will not up sample to DSD256 I must have one of the simplest setups, main PC with all the music files(Windows 10) boot from Daphile, controlled with laptop, no media servers or steaming anything just directly playing files from the PC set to up sample PCM to DSD every other file type plays perfectly but it just skips through the DXD files is this a known thing? is there a plugin or solution? thanks

14 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

@Mark Labbett if you go to

Advanced Media Server Settings/Advanced/File Types

you’ll see all the accepted file types and which transcoding/conversion/resampling is allowed.

It seems DXD is missing …

Not too familiar with DXD - or Daphile - but could the conversion be based on the filetype rather than the music format? What I mean is, if the DXD file is, say, a flac file, then Daphile will do the conversion based on what is listed for flac. I don't know what filetype wavpack uses, though.

42 minutes ago, lotusaurus said:

Not too familiar with DXD - or Daphile - but could the conversion be based on the filetype rather than the music format? What I mean is, if the DXD file is, say, a flac file, then Daphile will do the conversion based on what is listed for flac. I don't know what filetype wavpack uses, though.

I don’t think flac does 32/384 that’s why it’s wavpack 

On 7/20/2021 at 12:54 AM, stefano_mbp said:

Why not 👍 … I’ll try in a couple of days and report you back

btw … -W argument should not have anything to do with dsd/dsf 

-W Read wave and aiff format from header, ignore server parameters

I stuck in the -W because of what I saw on C-3PO on github:

"Starting form March, 15 2016 the mod that originate squeezelite-R2 is included in the squeezebox community official version of squeezelite, mantained by Ralph Irving. You could then use also that version with C-3PO, just remember to activate -W option."

On 7/20/2021 at 5:42 PM, Mark Labbett said:

I don’t think flac does 32/384 that’s why it’s wavpack 

Ah, didn't realise that.

After a lot more reading and experimenting, I added the pcp-dsdplay extension to pCP. Then I found that I didn't need the the DSDPlayer plugin in Daphile to play DSD natively. BUT this works only if the C-3PO plug-in is uninstalled. Just disabling it for pCP doesn't work; I needed to uninstall it.

Here are my active plugins:

Plug-ins.thumb.png.147c73aa37a07aaff3ed4b7a971b2f01.png

And here are the most relevant File Types:

991750889_Filetypes.png.0b479c8d763daf557458397177ee6981.png

Now to see if I can get upsampling to DSD512... 

in my system i use the most basic of setups main PC with music connected via Direct Ethernet cable(no modem ) so i don't use sqeezebox or any other streaming options so all of these other plugins are of no consequence to me, and as far as i am aware will not work in my situation what i need is direct support for DSD but in the larger picture it is not a big problem as i can just use HQplayer to resample to DSD it would be nice but!!!! Lets not forget this is free it works for 98% OF my 45,000 track music library.To the developer please address this issue IF YOU CAN FIND THE TIME

@Mark Labbett  Daphile can work on a single computer, server and client share the same hw, or on two computer and in this case the server will do the heavy work (transcoding, resampling …) leaving to the client just the conversion to the dac.

In other words, Daphile is something like a stripped down version of two components

LMS and Squeezelite 

that can be used on a single computer or on a two computer set.

Therefore  plugins like DSDPlayer or C-3PO can be used on both the configurations 

Stefano

My audio system

Just now, stefano_mbp said:

@Mark Labbett  Daphile can work on a single computer, server and client share the same hw, or on two computer and in this case the server will do the heavy work (transcoding, resampling …) leaving to the client just the conversion to the dac.

In other words, Daphile is something like a stripped down version of two components

LMS and Squeezelite 

that can be used on a single computer or on a two computer set.

Therefore  plugins like DSDPlayer or C-3PO can be used on both the configurations 

so can i installC-3PO on my one and only main PC(USB drive) and it will be usable? My system is one in that the Daphile setup is on the computer that does the decoding and playback and is connected to the DAC and this is controlled from a laptop connected via Ethernet direct not through a modem,

If the plugins are for sqeezelite and lms and i do not use either of these can i still install the plugins and use them in the playback chain?Sometimes the complexity of what Daphile can do is just way above my pay grade and what i need and want.

21 minutes ago, Mark Labbett said:

so can i installC-3PO on my one and only main PC(USB drive) and it will be usable?

Yes, you can. Just consider the workload of your computer.

As described before Daphile’s components are LMS and Squeezelite a little bit “stripped down” but they are still LMS and Squeezelite.

On my point of view Daphile is less complex than LMS and Squeezelite:

Daphile is at the same time an OS (Linux based), a music server (LMS) and a player (Squeezelite) and you can choose to run it on a single computer or on a two computer set.

Would you use LMS you should need to install the OS (a Linux distribution like Ubuntu), then you should install LMS and finally Squeezelite on the same computer or on another one … a lot of activities …

Stefano

My audio system

On 7/17/2021 at 10:32 PM, lotusaurus said:

Thanks for all the help here. But alas, no joy in trying to load a new beta version.

First I set Update Channel to Beta, left Update Schedule on Manual and rebooted. Only got version 3.113 beta. Waited a few hours, but no update prompt. So I set Update Schedule to On Boot and rebooted, but still no updating prompt and still on 3.113 beta.

I never managed to find the magic cantation or secret handshake for getting a beta version. Probably something is messed up with my RoPieee. But I see that RoPieee has a new version, 4.002, that supports native DSD. It's working fine for me (as long as I don't have the C-3PO plug-in installed).