IGNORED

The quest for flat frequency responce may be futile if you have age related hearing loss. Use DSP to find YOUR "flat".

I reccomend using DSP, specifically a high quality parametric equalizer, to retrieve frequencies lost to those of us with age (or occupational) related hearing loss,

In simplistic terms one could ask an audiologist for a detailed graph of the dips in one's hearing and using a parametric eq, boost those deminished frequencies to restore them to "flat" or a younger hearing range. 

If you think about it the artist and studio production team might have been in a pre hearing loss age range. So their hearing at the time of signing off on the final mixes and mastering will be different than an older person who's hearing is somewhat deminished, so why not compensate with equalisation? 

Anyhow, that's what I do. I reccomended it. 

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

• 2 weeks later...

While you wait for his answer. Simplistically speaking, imagine placing a mirror along the top green line. 

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

IMHO You don’t have to go for the full 40db boost. You can simply restore SOME of that range. 

I will post a screenshot of my Roon parametric boosts. (Simply done to taste, not a reverse mirror of an audiologist graph)

BTW I think@fresponse’s site looks to be a fantastic resource! And a this project looks to be wonderfully geeky / tech rabbit hole worth travelling down. 

• 1 year later...

Glad to see this progressing. 

I have run eq plugins on my Mac via Audio Hijack before (the wonderful Fabfilter EQ3p) 

But I wasn't aware it could be done with Roon. (I just copied over my Fabfilter parameters over to Roon's parametric eq) 

When I have a free day to geek out I will revisit this and try the Hifi Aid 

@fresponse I have private messaged you. I would like to chat with you in person. 

I am a lifetime career audio engineer, (pop / rock / music recording) 

I have manually tweaked a parametric eq to compensate for my hearing loss (to my taste)

Without sounding pompous - it would be great if Audiophile enthusiasts with hearing challenges could have the same confidence to tweak at eq's 

But I can understand a reluctance to medle ....

• 2 weeks later...

For iPhone users on the go I found this video to be a fantastic tip

I did it and now my AirPods play back perfect - compensated for my hearing loss.

https://gearspace.com/board/health-and-hearing-loss/1393808-amazing-iphone-airpods-amp-beats-tip-hearing-loss.html?highlight=audiogram#post16273434