IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of... Donald Fagen’s The Nightfly

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, JoshM said:

This is an awesome release. Fagen is in fine voice. 

Fagen's said that he's written a bunch of new material during lockdown, apparently for a new solo release. I hope that happens so and that he tours as a solo act behind it. Nothing against "The Steely Dan Band," but especially without Becker, I'd love to hear more of Fagen's solo material live.

Agreed all around.  But as a rabid fan who's seen Steely Dan at least 10 times live, including shows that may be on this disk and the Northeast Corridor co-release, I was surprised by two things.  First, they changed the soundstage and you cannot hear the rooms (A bummer, but maybe they had to).  Second, this disk sounds way better than the sound in the Beacon or the Orpheum. A miracle of the modern world, but also a bit ironic--it is simultaneously less accurate and more "audiophile".

Steely Dan is coming around again soon--check their website.  They are still a magnificent touring band--you will not say "oh, I only wish I could have seen them back when...".  Alas, I am probably too covid-conscious to attend.  Rock on!