Stealin' · Jerry Garcia & David Grisman, '96

Stealin' · Johnny Young, '66

The Yardbirds - Stealing Stealing, '67

Arlo Guthrie - Stealin', '69

Taj Mahal - Stealin', '71

Stealin' · David Bromberg, '77

James Cotton - Stealin', stealin, '04

6 hours ago, Iving said:

This is really Ace and has gone on my personal "wants" list. More than a passing resemblance to Robert Cray ...

Agree about the stylistic resemblance. That style is just not my cuppa, but Cray is certainly a fine musician.

6 hours ago, Iving said:

imho Dylan "went wrong" after 'Oh Mercy' 1989  / 'Under The Red Sky' 1990 ...

I honestly don't have a clue.  And when I listened to Dylan's World Gone Wrong, I listened to each original and sometimes another cover. I do really feel that his arrangement and performance of "Delia" breathes life into the song. On the other hand, I preferred the Mississippi Shieks original version of "World Gone Wrong", but I still appreciate what he did with it and it might grow on me.

Here's a helpful playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSOKhDFcCAJUzp0hMgw6PmQoU_cun6fLC

5 hours ago, Iving said:

Perhaps you are more a Blues fundamentalist than I. I have a dreadful music appreciation temperament. I'm a rhythm/pace fiend. If it ain't got swing it don't mean a thing". 😜

Nothing wrong with that. I came up as a kid playing drums, mostly blues rock. Gradually got curious about the originals and live in the Chicago suburbs, so had access. With college, my musical horizons kind of exploded, which was fairly common, but have returned to blues at various times, and tend to favor Mississippi Delta and Chicago blues. I like it a little on the primitive side with smaller bands or solo acts, and don't really feel the more polished, sophisticated, smooth soul and R+B leaning stuff. Folk blues is fine. I'd have to grow into more jazz/ swing/big band/jump blues oriented stuff. I don't ever intend to wear a tuxedo again! So we'll see where tis goes.

For example, I've struggled a bit with listening to Ma Rainey, but then I find something like this:

Deep Moaning Blues: 1

Deep Moaning Blues · Branford Marsalis

17 minutes ago, Iving said:

I Found A Way - Curtis Hobock (1965)

hmmmm...Isn't it high time for a Rockabilly Thread?

"Rockabilly is one of the earliest styles of rock and roll music. It dates back to the early 1950s in the United States, especially the South. As a genre it blends the sound of Western musical styles such as country with that of rhythm and blues, leading to what is considered "classic" rock and roll. Some have also described it as a blend of bluegrass with rock and roll. The term "rockabilly" itself is a portmanteau of "rock" (from "rock 'n' roll") and "hillbilly", the latter a reference to the country music (often called "hillbilly music" in the 1940s and 1950s) that contributed strongly to the style. Other important influences on rockabilly include western swing, boogie-woogie, jump blues, and electric blues."

GO FOR IT!!

Various Artists - Rockabilly Essentials - Amazon.com Music

47 minutes ago, Iving said:

lol I'd have done this yonks ago but I doubt interest! Yes - it's my favourite genre. And you are very kind. Blues is one of its roots. I track Rockabilly chronologically to understand its evolution. Everything is an eruption of history. If no-one beats me to it, I'll maybe think of a good Intro to a new Thread. Even if Rockabilly is not your thing, it is the heartbeat of all nearly all pop music since the 1950s. Are you being kind or feeling sorry for me? Maybe both 🤪

When I look at the full wiki article, I see a lot of possibility for exploration. I can't think of how to construct a wider category, and agree that would help.

Wondering if albums like these are too much of a stretch to be considered roots of rockabilly (and other music, like country)

71y48zsGAAL._SL1417_.thumb.jpg.18fa12d216436b62c15a09bdeee196be.jpg

71BelhwmitL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.44bc79079d25fd321ace6fd2c221af47.jpg

616CzmBtioL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.7bfa3c5f5d791688099c05cfe46ac772.jpg

1046918054_71-etXttRL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.2ece8c427721ab20e45144618ccf5023.jpg

Interest level? Not too much of anything going on right now except album of the evening.   😴

Last one from Blind Willie McTell

"Statesboro Blues" · Blind Willie McTell, 1928

"Statesboro Blues" - Taj Mahal, from debut eponymous album, 1967

from wiki:

According to Pete Carr, who was a member of Hour Glass with brothers Duane and Gregg Allman, a performance by Mahal made a big impression on Duane: "We went to see Taj Mahal, and he had Jesse Ed Davis with him. They did 'Statesboro Blues,' and Davis played slide on it. After hearing that, Duane started practicing slide all the time." Another Hour Glass member, Paul Hornsby, added:

"From the first time we saw them [the Taj Mahal band], we picked up 'Statesboro Blues' ... That was the first song that Duane played slide on in the Hour Glass."...

...Allman's version comes from when his brother Gregg gave him a record by Taj Mahal (containing his version of "Statesboro Blues") and a bottle of Coricidin pills, both for his birthday and as Duane had a cold that day; a short while later, Duane, who had never played slide guitar before, washed the label from the Coricidin bottle after emptying out the pills and learned how to play the song, even exhibiting it to Gregg.

"Statesboro Blues" (Live At Fillmore East, March 13, 1971) The Allman Brothers Band

By way of unpacking the above post:

"Death Letter", also known as "Death Letter Blues", is the signature song of the Delta blues musician Son House.

It is "one of the most anguished and emotionally stunning laments in the Delta blues œuvre."

It is structured upon House's earlier recording "My Black Mama, Part 2" from 1930, posted above along with part 1.

"Walkin' Blues" or "Walking Blues" is a blues standard written and recorded by American Delta blues musician Son House in 1930. Although unissued at the time, it was part of House's repertoire and other musicians, including Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, adapted the song and recorded their own versions. Lo and behold, a test pressing of Walking Blues discovered in an attic in 1985!

Here it is:

and another Son House performance  of "Walkin' Blues" from 1941:

Now back to Robert Johnson's "Walkin' Blues" from the previous post. Besides being based on Son House's "Walking Blues", Johnson's 1936 rendition incorporates melodic and rhythmic elements from House's "My Black Mama" (which House also used for his "Death Letter") and slide guitar techniques Johnson learned from House. Or so they say...

In 1941, Muddy Waters recorded "Walkin' Blues" with some different lyrics as "Country Blues" in his first field recording session for Alan Lomax:

"Country Blues" served as the basis for his first charting song, "(I Feel Like) Going Home", for Chess Records in 1948:

He later recorded "Walkin' Blues" with lyrics closer to House's and Johnson's for his first single, released by Chess in 1950: