IGNORED

Understanding bit and sample rates

Hello, I've stopped using Music app and I'm very happy about that.
I've been on several apps but I'm not sure it worth to go for payed apps, I have a Mac Pro connected to a soundbar using optical cable, the soundbar is ok for 32bits.
Strangly, when I look at Audio Midi setup app 32 bits is not available I only have 24/20/16 bits.
I have flac files at 32bits/192Khz, others at 24bits/96Khz and dsf files strangly at 1bit/5.64Mhz.
They told me this is high quality files but the Mac Pro with Catalina doesn't allow me playing more than 24bits/96Kkz.
I have the option 24/192Khz but I have no sound using that option.
Does anyone can tell what are the options to upgrade my sound to 32bits ?..
Thank you very much

The optical connection on your Mac is limited 24/96, that’s why you cannot go beyond that resolution, and I don’t know which resolution your soundbar can accept.

You should get a dac (digital analog converter) connected with usb to obtain maximum result.

On thing more ... macOS cannot reproduce DSD file (dsf) as native but only as DoP (DSD over PCM). Flac are PCM files.

Here you can find a little guide about DSD and DoP

https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard#.YETsMS3YOhA

Some suggestions for a good dac with DSD/DoP capability , without spending too much, could be

Topping E30 https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-with-volume/topping-e30-usb-dac-ak4493-32bit768khz-dsd512-xmos-black-p-14486.html

Soncoz LA-QXD1 http://www.soncoz.com/laqxd1.html#/ 

Stefano

My audio system

Gracias amigo

The Mac Pro is connected to a Q90R Samsung soundbar, the problem is that I only have optical y hdmi input, nothing more..

It's playing UHQ 32bit Audio, LPCM 8ch, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos (True HD / Digital Plus), DTS:X, that's what they say in manual user

Thank you very much for the dsd guide, I wish I could understand but I don't, I'm afraid this is too technical for me

Anyway I still have a couple of question if you don't mind:

If I buy your DAC stuff, I guess I connect the DAC to the Mac using USB, but then the only option I have to connect to soundbar is optical, so am I back again to 24/96 because of optical ?

Does windows or other devices can play dsf files native ?
Best wishes and thank you very much

4 minutes ago, Isabela said:

but then the only option I have to connect to soundbar is optical

... you should think about a couple of speakers, maybe powered speakers like Adam Audio or Genelec ...

8 minutes ago, Isabela said:

so am I back again to 24/96 because of optical ?

unfortnately yes, the optical connection is limiting

6 minutes ago, Isabela said:

Does windows or other devices can play dsf files native ?

Yes, Windows with proper drivers for dac can do native DSD, as well as Linux (any distro, Ubuntu for example)

.... you are welcome

Stefano

My audio system

Hi Stefano, I've been reading your DSD guide and looking the DAC you were suggesting, it worth to pay double price for the soundcoz ? Besides, my father is likely to get his Mac Pro back and I know he's in the idea to offer the new Mini Mac to compensate, will it be ok for the audio ?..

ah ok Stefano thanks, so I will go for the Topping..
I only hace optical and hdmi to get in my soundbar and I was reading this about hdmi:
"A single HDMI link, on the other hand, is capable of transferring up to 24 bits of user data at 165 Mpixels per second, resulting in a massive bandwidth of nearly 4 Gbps . This is enough to support the 1080p resolutions of today's newest high-definition displays while still leaving room to transport up to 8 channels of high-resolution audio with 24 bits of resolution and a sampling frequency up to 192 kHz - all across a single HDMI cable. "

Do you think it's possible to connect hdmi on the DAC instead of optical ?..

8 minutes ago, Isabela said:

Do you think it's possible to connect hdmi on the DAC instead of optical ?..

You should connect the dac to usb. Very few dacs (and quite expensive too) have hdmi connection that is anyway different from audio/video hdmi, it is based on a different transmission protocol.

On top of this you must be aware that Mac Mini M1 seems to be strongly limited on hdmi, it can support up to 24/48.

.... computer hdmi is just for video, not for hires audio.

Stefano

My audio system