IGNORED

Measurement of home power interference

I have occasional power distortions, which are most often heard as a harsh sound, and sometimes as a loss of dynamics. Distortions are not permanent and are difficult to locate.

But by buying a Shunyata Venom filter, the problem is 90% gone. So I know the problem is with the power supply and not with the ethernet network for example.

I would like to locate the cause of the interference, if it is a home device. With what device can harmonic distortions of 230 V AC be measured?

My HiFi: HTPC, AudioQuest USB cable, Berkeley Alpha USB, Nordost Valhalla AES / EBU, Berkeley Alpha DAC, AudioQuest Amazon IC, Ayon Croassfire II SET integrated amplifier, Nordost Valhalla speaker cable, DIY 3 way Accuton ceramic speakers, Nordost Valhalla power cords.

1 hour ago, yamamoto2002 said:

PicoScope 4444 1000V CAT III Differential Oscilloscope Kit

Hi Yamamoto

That "107V" spike appears to be very misleading , and not a big deal, to say the least.😉

Were the settings on the original page legible ?

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 hours ago, Forgisound said:

I would like to locate the cause of the interference, if it is a home device. With what device can harmonic distortions of 230 V AC be measured?

The simplest method, if you just want to determine which device is the problem, is to switch off, disconnect everything in the home - until the SQ is fine. Then reconnect one device at a time, and listen for the sound still being clear - the culprit should show up at some point.

I can't see what the value is of measuring the mains waveform is - once you know that a certain device or devices adds noise which is enough to disrupt the playback, then the goal needs to be to add filtering which attenuates that noise - or, make sure the noise makers are not operating.

• 3 weeks later...

On the following article, Fluke 43B Power Quality Analyzer is used to troubleshoot a power related problem. I think Linear power supply transformer of audio equipment vibrates when half-rectified AC power is inputted.

https://www.fluke.com/en-th/learn/blog/power-quality/half-wave-rectifier

Page 1 of the following pdf shows microphone cable noise that is induced by light dimmer.

https://www.canare.co.jp/en/26B/Canare26B_Cables.pdf

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin