IGNORED

Intel CPUs Don’t Support ECC Memory: How Bad For A/V Quality?

lisa

On 1/14/2021 at 1:26 PM, jcbenten said:

AMD does not support ECC memory.

Not officially but it does on certain boards, running a 3700X right now with 128 ECC. AMD EPYC (the server chip, like xeons) fully support ECC

Have no idea if memory errors, if they actually occur, are detrimental to sound quality.

It actually occurs very rarely with solar storms mainly or when memory is malfunctioning or overclocked or under voltaged. But the occurrence will affect usually 1 bit which I doubt you will notice. The real danger is data corruption when written to disk but for our audio pcs playing audio I would say it is irrelevant.

What a coincidence, running right now a hammer test with memtest on ecc memory just purchased for a truenas machine I built, for nas and data servers it is critical. Mainly because when you use raid you do scrubs and relocate data and backup data constantly and use cache and other intermediate steps which increases the risk of data corruption since your data is read and written more often.

@jcbenten you are correct on your last post

50 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I repeat...two meanings of support:

1) AMD supports meaning you can use ECC memory if you wish.

2) IF you have issues (compatibility, etc) AMD DOES NOT SUPPORT.  You will have to work with your MB supplier.

The only reason I quoted you before is because your first post stating

To get ECC you just need to use XEON processors

Which seemed inaccurate to me as EPYC (same as Xeon) fully supports it, then later on you clarified some other topics, I started reading from the top of the thread, did not check the ones below and replied before reading the rest.