IGNORED

User experiences with Volumio?

Picoreplayer is for people who have SB units already or want a touch screen experience with the Pi. It's very good for that. AFAIR, you can set it up to have an internal LMS server on the Pi itself, so you don't need one on your main sever.

The big advantage of LMS, even today, is all the plugins that make it extremely user adaptable - it can do almost anything in audio. For instance, there are plugins that integrate most of the streaming services so they show up within LMS. Deezer, Qobuz, Tidal, and Spotify. Maybe more I can't remember. And the newer Material UI plugin gives it a more modern look with metadata supplied.

I also tried Volumio and wasn't thrilled. It's a good program, just not for me. 

I'm presently using Roon mostly, so I switched my Pi with a touchscreen to Ropieee, which is a Roon endpoint for Pi. Works fine and you get the bonus of having all the Roon features for playback without any special installation or hassles.

On another headless Pi I have Squeezeplayer, HQP NAA, and Roon Bridge installed.. All work fine, but of course you need another tablet or PC to control it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 months later...

It looks like a really good unit, and the Golden One showed it even measured well.

I'm not a big fan of the Volumio interface, but the Zen allows use of NAA, Roon, and some other interfaces, so users have lots of choice of interfaces.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)