IGNORED

Apple TV sound quality

I did an A/B comparison of the same hi-rez Linn sampler tracks playing into a good quality hifi system from an Apple TV's analog outputs and a DVD-Audio. They both had excellent sound quality and detail, and there was little audible difference - possibly a slightly more defined sound stage from the DVD-A.

What sort of sound quality improvement could I expect from running either signal through an external DAC? What quality of DAC would I need to buy to notice an improvement, and would it be worth the money?

(Tracks: blues and classical piano/orchestra, 24-bit, 88.2 to 96 kHz. Downloaded as FLAC and converted to AIFF through XLD software.

Source A: Apple Lossless audio file on Mac internal hard drive, streaming from iTunes 10.1.1 (all audio filters off) through AirPort Extreme, Apple TV Mk 1.

Source B: AIFF files burned to DVD though DiskWelder software, played on Marantz DV7600 multi-disk player.)

The combination of the original Apple TV and the DacMagic is what started my on the journey of computer/music server music system. I think it was an excellent combination and provided outstanding sound for the amount of investment. It a great way (and I know not the only way) to get going.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

As another has already posted, there is no high resolution available through an Apple TV. It will only put out 16/44.1.

Not a big limitation if you are wanting to listen to cd quality files but....a pretty big liability if you want to listen to 24 bit 88.2 to 96 files. It simply can't. If you are wanting that facility the place to start is with a Mac Mini as has been stated in these pages time and again. It can download them (has wireless and browser built in) can play them back through iTunes (once computer output is set higher) and has at least a couple of ways to output those files into a seperate Dac (USB, Firewire, Optical digital).

It is really the Swiss Army knife of the digital explosion and can be a VERY decent source with a wonderfully small footprint.

The other option is a Logitech Squeezebox Touch. It can stream these higher resolution files from whatever computer you are using to store them in, can be upgraded with the addition of an outboard Dac and costs less than half what a Mac Mini does ($299 vs. $699).

Both are viable solutions to your questions.

PS. A Dac will definately make your Apple TV sound better even with 16/44 files.

David

What is meant by 'all audio filters off'. I currently use a PC laptop streaming to an Apple TV Gen 2 and have optical running out to an external DA converter. All files are in WAV. If there are filters I can adjust in iTunes or on my PC I'm all ears and eyes and would love to learn.

If Apple TV is like Airport Express the limitation is 16/48, not 16/44.1.

I use a SB Touch for 24-bit files, but with Airplay and MOG, gotta say my Airport Express (and maybe soon Apple TV) is getting a ton of use.

djiNN, I think all modifications (volume equalization, EQ, etc.) are off.

\"Science fiction tends to be philosophy for stupid people.\" - Chuck Klosterman

In actual fact the "new" Apple TV is fixed at 16/48. It is still reported to give good sound quality though.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Bacor,

Re-read Real Hifi's blog as he is spot on with his advice.

I have an Apple TV and it is a terrfic interface for the family, however, it cannot play hi rez i.e. 24 bit / 96 and above, therefore if you are serious about audio quality, and you want a significant increase in sound quality with flexibility but without any hassle, then subject to your budget I would;

1. get a MAC Mini with at least 4G of RAM

2. download Audirvana free software, http://code.google.com/p/audirvana/downloads/list

sounds excellent as it preloads the file into RAM, plays all formats including FLAC and automatically

changes the sample rate. iTunes will not.

3. purchase an asychronous USB device - either Halide Design Bridge USB to S/PDIF converter, if you

have an existing AMP with a decent DAC built in, or an Arcam rDAC .... both cost around $US450.

Neither require their own driver and both are plug and play out of the USB port of any computer.

Please read Chris's reviews on these two devices.

One thing I think we forget as audiophiles living in the real world is that due to the huge increase in sound quality now available from computer/DAC combinations you do not have to choose between devices but simply set them up so they can compliment each other.

e.g. for your family keep the Apple TV as your iTunes link into your AV system using either the optical out into the ARCAM rDAC or the HDMI straight into your AVR.

For serious listening make play lists from your iTune files for the Audirvana player and then hook the MAC Mini's USB into the rDAC's USB input for really excellent sound.

You just need a half decent Harmony remote to keep it all under control or use an Apple remote app on an iTouch or iPad etc.

For around $1,000 upgrade you will get very very good sound with the latest DAC technology and as you learn more you can upgrade your DAC to another level and then use the rDAC in a second system.

Hope this makes sense.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

• 3 months later...

I have all of my library ripped to my Macbook Pro and am considering an Apple TV2 for streaming to HT for casual listening/renting movies. I also review HT equipment (speakers mainly) so for critical listening couldn't I just move my Macbook Pro next to the receiver and output a USB to HRT Streamer II (or similar M.F. V-link,etc.)? It only has USB, Firewire and mini-jack and I'm sceptical about the mini-jack to optical converters.

Anyone have better ideas for this scenario...trying to do it on the cheap (or free).

Thanks,

Cory Potts

www.hometheaterhifi.com

2009 13\" Macbook Pro Intel 2.54Ghz (Snow Leopard), Belkin USBpro-HRT Streamer II-BelkinPureAV-Denon-2309, Paradigm Studio 20\'sV.3

Hi Cory,

This is what I do.

For movies and background music I connect the Apple TV using the HDMI output directly into the HDMI input on the Receiver. This way I get 5.1 surround sound and video switching and it is a no brainer to set up - you require no technical knowledge.

For critical listening I connect my Macbook Pro to a DACport via USB and then into and the analogue inputs of the receiver and then set the receiver to "direct pass through".

However, the most cost effective solution is to do what you suggest - use the Macbook Pro with a USB/SPDIF converter into one of the coaxial inputs of the receiver.

It all depends on the quality of the DACs in the receiver and as always it is best to experiment for the best sound. See if you can borrow a friends or retailers DAC and USB/SPIDF for sound comparison.

Good Luck.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers