IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

• 5 months later...

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I am using a Beaglebone Black running NAA attached to a Twisted Pear Buffalo Dac. Currently running Roon on an old Linux box. I’ve got HQPlayer running on my wife’s Mac Mini M1 and it works quite well converting PCM to DSD256. She doesn’t like me glomming on to her computer so I need to get my own. 
Would like to get rid of the old Linux box. I run both Roon and HQPlayer and don’t think the Mac Mini can handle both. The Mac studio would surely do it but so expensive. Micro center is selling the Mac Minis now for $550. So maybe two of them?

3 hours ago, MikePid said:

YMMV, however I noticed a very significant improvement when I upgraded the built-in MMM1 power supply with an inexpensive Chinese LPS module and 12V LPS.  So much so that I replaced the stock fuse in the LPS with an Orange fuse (yeah I put in a fuse that costs about as much as the LPS 😆), which bumped up the sound quality further.  I verified by (non-blind) A/B/A/B testing with each (including figuring out which direction was better for the fuse.  The switch back to the built-in power supply (or back to the stock fuse) was very noticeable, with reduction of sound stage and dynamics.  I have no idea why, because aren't bits just bits, especially so far upstream?  😉  I guess as others have said "everything matters".  And yes, I have an ultraRendu NAA (powered by a Paul Hynes SR4T LPS with Blue fuse), and also an EtherRegen (powered by a Sonore LPS with Blue fuse).  With the old mac mini, Uptone sold a lot of LPS upgrade kits for that.

Some people recommend not to run Roon on the same machine as HQPlayer, but when CPU usage of HQP dropped a few releases ago, I tried moving Roon over to the MMM1 and found a small uptick in sound quality (probably due to not needing to run across an Ethernet connection and/or powering the Roon core with an LPS) so I left Roon on the MMM1.

Of course, a lot of things are system dependent.  I was a power cord skeptic too, but now a convert.

Against my better judgment, I can’t help responding to this. I’ve been around the block with this, admitting to have paid thousands on cables and other such. I’ve conducted multiple blind, double blinds. What I have realized is that the ear and brain work as one. What you believe is what you hear. Do not underestimate the power of the mind.