IGNORED

Lumin X-1 with 432 AEON Music server

azchump

I have a Lumin X-1 which I absolutely love.  Before this unit I had a Lumin A-1, Emm Lab Dac 2 V2 and a Laufer Teknik Memory Player.  I wanted to simplify my system so I purchased The X-1 and sold the other components.  Like all audiophiles, I am looking for that extra edge in sound performance.  So I am back to looking at music servers. I have done a ton of research and the one I am currently interested in is it small Company that makes the 432 AEON.  

Can anyone share if they have any experience with the 432? I would consider purchasing if I thought that it would further improve my sound from the Lumin X-1.  The 432 AEON is roughly $6k US so it is not chump change.  

I should say that I stream 100% of my music through Tidal / Qobuz.  I have all of my music stored on a Synology NAS.

I will be very interested in your impressions if you go with the AEON.  I too have a Lumin X1, currently using a Small Green Computer i5 CDR as server and storage.   I had some communications with a dealer, intending to become US distribution, for the EVO line several months ago.  He was intending to test the X1 with this unit and get back to me.  I did not hear back on the testing, but in this time of COVID, there is so much supply chain and personal health considerations, there could be several reasons why I did not receive the updates.  I did not push it.   There is still no US distribution shown on the EVO 432 website, but is shown on this US dealer website. This EVO unit, along with many servers seems optimized for USB output, which is not the case with the Lumin X1.  Certainly there is ethenet connection with the AEON, along with multiple other servers, but am more interested in units optimizing for ethernet.

I have elected to pursue audioning an Antipodes K40, which is ethernet optimized and potentially upgradable to K50 status.  I do not as yet have the unit, but anticipate by the end of the month.  It is more expensive than the AEON.  $9,000 US MSRP.  

I currently have an inexpensive switch, Netgear GS108, feeding an EtherRegen B side to run optical fiber from A side to the X1.  I am also pursuing significant upgrades to the Netgear power switch and power supplies.  These pieces will arrive in phases, hopefully all by sometime in January.

Hopefully, I will be very pleased with the K40 and retain it following the audition period.  If not, I will be open to other server options, but also not currently unhappy with the SMG i5 CDR.  Small Green Computer does offer an i9 optical fiber output unit with a Sonore Optical Module built in.  SMG recently has released an i5 model with user installable hard drive via a tray, and Antipodes offers similar idea.  I have not communicated with Andrew at SMG on this, but would guess an I9 optical unit could be configured with the tray installable/removable hard drives as well.

Good luck in your pursuits on the EVO, and please keep us posted.

The dealer you are referring to had a very serious health issue this past spring and he is still trying to recover.  I had a similar issue which resulted in me now being functionally blind.

I too am waiting for the same test results.  I am also trying to get information from other European audiophiles through What's Best Forum.  

Further....do you find that your sound has improved with the use of past servers with your X-1?  That is really what I am trying to determine as I think the X-1 is awesome.   I had a Laufer Teknik Memory Player and did not experience any sound improvement...at least that I could hear.  Consequently, I am cautious about buying another server.  

Did you consider Innuos?

azchump,

First of all, my best wishes to you and also to Dave for the health issues you both have experienced.

My server experiences to date have been limited.  I first purchased a SoundScience Music Vault, ripping and storing my CD's, and sending to a Modwright Transporter.   Eventually, the unit no longer functioned well, hard drive and other issues,  and with the rapid changes taking place in both hardware and software, it was not practical to consider repair.  I moved to a SOtM sMS-1000 server/player, a Luxman DA-06 DAC, and an early generation Sonore Sonic Orbiter for use to my Luxman USB DAC.  All produced much better results than my prior.  The SOtM was using Logitech Media Server, LMS, as playing software with VortexBox/Linux operating system.   Unfortunately the hard drive failed on the SOtM after warranty expired and I had the drive replaced.  Later on I had a major software and possible hardware failure.  The limited processor in that SOtM precluded further investment there, and I moved to Small Green Computer. During these changes, I also purchased a PS-Audio DirecStream DAC and Vinnie Rossi LIO preamp with DAC and Sonore microRendu.  I have since upgraded the Vinnie Rossi to the L2 Statement DHT.  The last upgrade to date has been the Lumin X1. I was aware that considerable "burn-in" playing time was required with the X1, and indeed was the case.  I truly prefer sound quality with it over my L2 DAC in my Vinnie Rossi, the DirectStream, and the Luxman DA-06.  The SMG i5 CDR is the only server I have used with the Lumin X1, so far.

I am intrigued how much better results could be for me with the X1 if I changed to a different server.  However, like you I am cautious about making this kind of increasingly large investment.   I also do not wish to get in the weeds with hands on continual software issues nor am I a DIY hardware building person.

I have extensively read on a number of manufacturers, including Innuos.  I asked the opinion of a gentlemen who moved from Innuous Statement to a less expensive server, but he had also  moved to a very fine, high end DAC and player.  He kindly responded that the Statement was an excellent unit, very much optimized for USB output, and he no longer needed that optimization with his new DAC and player.  That really resonated with me for the Lumin X1, for which a USB optimized server is not a benefit in my case, especially at the purchase price.  

Along with Innuous, I researched a number of others, to include Antipodes Audio.  The new K40 is an ethernet optimized server, so that appealed to me.  There are several new models released in K and S series, with K being top of the newly revised line.  Antipodes Audio is a New Zealand manufacturer.  I live in Arizona and did not find a dealer here for their line.  I emailed Antipodes  Audio with questions on Sales & Service for the US and audition potential.  Mark, the owner, responded back and put me in touch with Larry Owens, KRC (Knowledge Resources Corporation) in Denver.  Mark indicated that KRC is their Service Center in the US and has been doing business with them for several years now.  In the cases where Antipodes does not have a dealer in the states, like Arizona, KRC is also authorized to sell to customers.  They also offer a purchase money back guarantee audition policy, typically 30 days.  Both domestic service and the audition policy really appealed to me.  KRC also can do upgrades to the Antipodes units.  That may be of some comfort to existing owners of previous platforms, but expense and length of time before these can be done to upgrade to currrent advances are not known yet.  Still,  I find that reassuring as well.  Larry Owens has been very responsive and appears in our email and phone communications to be very knowledgable.  I believe the new shipment of Antipodes units are due in to  KRC this week, and I am very hopeful my purchase audition will go very well.

Thanks for the detailed response.  I also live in Arizona in Gold Canyon at the base of the Superstition Mountains.  We really do not have a lot of options in Az for great equipment.  That is why I have been buying equipment from Dave in NJ and Larry from High-End Palace in Miami.  i even visited Dave in NJ to listen to equipment.  

I get my new speakers on Sunday. The owner of Viking Acoustic, David Counsell is driving from Sante Fe to deliver and set up for me.  I have been without music for a year while building my new house.  The speakers are Viking Acoustic Grande Voix.  They were on order for a year.  I recently received my amps - Canary Audio  Grand Reference 300 B mono amps with 16 300B tubes (125wpc) mated to C1800 Pre-amp.  So you can understand why i am so anxious to get my system operating and then to see if a server will juice it even more.  

2D1AF7D2-5B85-420A-B654-1D5E2E08E088.jpeg

For Lumin X1 users seeking further tweaks, I suggest exploring in the following areas:

1. Fiber network - http://www.luminmusic.com/support-fibre.html

2. Consider a Fanless NAS such as QNAP HS-453DX, SonicTransporter, or even NUC in a fanless chassis, etc. running MinimServer, perhaps with a LPS

There is a Lumin X1 user report confirming that the SonicTransporter i9 optical port works with it.  (Note that Lumin does not currently support HQPlayer.)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead