IGNORED

SSD drives and "TRIM"

I seem to be having problems with my Intel SSD. I have problems repairing the permissions (I have about 200 lines of permission errors) on an 80 gig Intel SSD that is installed in my 2009 Mac Mini.

Thinking the SSD was damaged I called Intel tech support... They told me I needed to run a program called "TRIM". Trim however only runs on a Windoz box. So is there some way to repair the permission for an SSD?

I have tried the built in Disk Utility from Apple and Onyx and single user boot.

I am on the phone with Apple now checking about this issue in regard to the Apple Air note books which use Samsung SSD.

So far no love.

Open baffle with Feastrex for the top end and 16\" AE for the bass.[br]Pass labs 30.5 drives the AE and my own 45 with Intact Audio output transformers all silver build drives the Feastrex. [br]Lynx Aurora with Antelope clock.[br]Pure Music does the crossover work. Mac mini with a SSD and a Glyph hd for the data. [br]West of the Pecos...[br]East of the Rio Grande...

check the PDF

Open baffle with Feastrex for the top end and 16\" AE for the bass.[br]Pass labs 30.5 drives the AE and my own 45 with Intact Audio output transformers all silver build drives the Feastrex. [br]Lynx Aurora with Antelope clock.[br]Pure Music does the crossover work. Mac mini with a SSD and a Glyph hd for the data. [br]West of the Pecos...[br]East of the Rio Grande...

Apple says It doesn't matter. If you repair permissions then they are repaired even though they still show up.

hummmmmm

If your SSD is Journaled, you can make "permissions repair" by Disk Utility. If NOT journaled (Amarra recommendation) you can't do it, but you don't need it.

You can change to "Not Journaled" under Disk Utility menu, pressing de Option key before the File menu. This will NOT erase the information on your SSD drive, and the tasks will be faster.

Making "permission repairs" (more or less, but not the same, Windows "defragmentation", because there is not "fragmentation" on a Mac drive) will short your SSD drive life.

"Mac OS Extended" format is very much better (almost error free) than Windows format.

Serious SSD drives manufacturers don't recommend "defragmentation" on their drives, then they gave you "Trim", because of Windows problematic format. Then you don't need "Trim" on your Mac. And please do not blame Bill Gates, he is too bussy right now...

You can make 1.000 consecutive "permission repairs", and Disk Utility always shows some repairs, mostly on Java app (maybe to make you happy).

If you get serious problems, go to "Repair Disk" on Disk Utility, booting from an external drive.

Cheers!

Roch