IGNORED

what happened to my iTunes library?

Hello= I just upgraded from El Capitan to Catalina  and have lost my 15950 songs/ 1019 albums from what was my iTunes library.

all the cover art is there as well as songs/albums but nothing plays a box comes up that says "file can not be found do you want to locate it?" I also have no songs/albums in my Audirvana +3.5 Legacy Player. I have no idea how to get these back or if it is even possible or worth it.

It is not the end of the world as I think they are still all included in my ROON library but their loss from Audirvana Legacy player is a bummer-I spent the better part of 3 NFL seasons once (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away) feeding disc by disc of my entire CD collection to be ripped into my Mac Mini hard drive and now its gone. I do have backups (I think) on WD and Porche back ups plus on my Airport Time Capsule extreme that I use for WiFi but have neither the time patience or willingness to try and retrieve them. If this is addressed elsewhere on this topic page let me know where or should I just call Apple tech support-they are wonderful.

Thanks like I said it's not the end of the world most if not all of that music is on Qobuz and TIDAL and scattered among the gazillion playlists I have made up over the years but who likes having something arbitrarily(SIC?) taken away especially something that took so long to create.

bobbmd

1 hour ago, bobbmd said:

but have neither the time patience or willingness to try and retrieve them

Well, with that attitude, should anyone bother to try to help you? If you don't care, then why ask? (Serious question.) 

It's obvious that your music wasn't arbitrarily taken away, and it's most likely user error, and if you do care enough to spend some time, I'd be happy to try to help. But if not, that's fine too. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

@kirkmc Thanks for the reply and I would very much your help and advice. I only noticed this today when I went to Audirvana and the Legacy iTunes player had nothing on it,I then went to Music for the first time and as I wrote above I got that message and can not figure out how to get my library back so it will play in Music(it is there as it was in iTunes but won't play) and show back up in Audirvana. Look forward to your advice and direction. bobbmd

@kirkmc In Music— Files under Music media folder location it says:

/MacSSD/Users/bobbmd/Music/Music/Media

I never really paid attention to these things but if this helps in Audirvana under library/1st method: monitored folders I have 5 paths the first 4 are OFFLINE-OFF

/Applications

/Users/bobbmd/Desktop

/Users/bobbmd/Downloads

/Users/bobbmd/Music/iTunes

the last one says AUTO-Sync and is:/Users/bobbmd/Music/Media.localized/Downloads-Music

these are where my iTunes library was in Audirvana if that is any help.

I hope this is the info you were looking for. bobbmd

@kirkmc sorry for the late response-as I said the music ie songs/albums with the album covers show up in Music but if I try to play anything that box comes up saying file can not be found do you want to locate it? and then ALL my files in finder come up! So I went to Preferences>files/pathways in Music and sent you that.

I only sent you what is in Audirvana(as FYI) as those paths were obtained from from my computer/iTunes(in the past when I had El Capitan) and they are now 'offline'. Funny thing is that if I go to 'Library' on Audirvana ( even ROON) 25000 songs/2000++ albums come up are there and play.

If I go to storage in ROON I have 5 active folders ROON scans but the 6th says this:

iTunes Library XML not found in /users/bobbmd/Music/iTunes(I think this was active in the past with El Capitan). 

For me this all confusing as I never paid any attention to these I just chose something and play it.