IGNORED

Mixed library of flac and aiff transfer to itune

I have a library consisting of 800 albums split between flac and aiff. I’d like to be able to put these in iTunes so that I can use a Mac as portable device/ backup/secondary server. 
Anyway I’ve used xld to convert flac files to aiff and transfer to iTunes, but haven’t been able to get the original aiff files over. Is there a setting in xld, that allows me to transfer only the original aiff files over?

In retrospective simplest would be to have xld replace the existing flac files in the original folder with the converted files, then copy and paste, but I was loathe to get rid of the original files in case of a problem.  

Any other work around?I was thinking that I could copy  the original folder ( including the original flac files) to “automatically add to iTunes,”would the flac files be left behind?

I'm not sure I understand. You're trying to add a library of files to iTunes, so you put them in the Automatically Add to iTunes folder and launched iTunes, and they didn't all get added?

There's no reason why this shouldn't work. 

First, there's no reason to use AIFF files, because they're bigger, and there are some issues with portable tags. ALAC files can be converted back to AIFF or FLAC so you don't need to keep multiple versions. 

It's probably best to add the files by dragging them on the iTunes window; I do this in a playlist, so I can check which files are added to make sure. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I’ve taken your suggestion on alac, but my problem is I have a folder with 6000 tracks split between alac and flac. I’ve managed to convert the flac to alac, but the flac files were not deleted with xld.  When I transferred the folder to iTunes, the flac files did not go over ( good) but the song names did, and I’ve got about 3000 duplicate song titles with no file attached. 

is there an easy way to get rid of these duplicate titles that dont link to a file

Your right, (I’m sure no Apple Music expert) Turns out that in order to clean up my files, I had previously deleted songs from my music folder,  not realizing I was leaving dead song links in my Apple Music. 

i ended up deleting my Apple Music folders and creating a new library—couldn’t get to the change library command in Big Sur.

It would have been simpler to copy and paste my original music files folder to automatically add to music, filtering out the flac. Then I could have converted the flac in the original folder to alac with the output folder being automatically add to music.