IGNORED

Beginner Question

kev69

I've wanted a nice PC stereo setup for awhile but I'm so busy with life plus don't have any local sources that I know of to query or be able to listen to any setups and components. I've been looking online at the Benchmark DAC 3 HGC with Genelac 8030C 5 inch near-field powered speakers. The question is am I making a mistake with a 2 channel setup or should I think about an integrated amp/dac setup? Or different components? I'm a casual music listener and a novice. Suggestions greatly appreciated. 

I went ahead and ordered the components I mentioned. The dac is on it's way from Benchmark but the Genelec will take to mid December to arrive. I think starting with a stereo system is good advice. The sound will be a little compromised due to speaker distance from wall (not optimal distance). Nevertheless I'm sure I will be delighted. 

To answer your question DigiPete, I did and am listening to streams from Tidal as I write this. I am very impressed with both the Benchmark DAC and the Genelecs. Both pieces are incredibly rugged and appear very well thought out. The system has delightful clarity and crispness as well as definition. I've listened to some favorites and have heard musical details i was previously unaware of. Highly recommended. I haven't played with the DIP switches but intend to at some point. The placement of the speakers isn't as ideal as recommended but nearly so and I couldn't be happier.