IGNORED

Beginner Question

kev69

Question

I've wanted a nice PC stereo setup for awhile but I'm so busy with life plus don't have any local sources that I know of to query or be able to listen to any setups and components. I've been looking online at the Benchmark DAC 3 HGC with Genelac 8030C 5 inch near-field powered speakers. The question is am I making a mistake with a 2 channel setup or should I think about an integrated amp/dac setup? Or different components? I'm a casual music listener and a novice. Suggestions greatly appreciated. 

11 answers to this question

Sounds like a fantastic setup to me. Just to be sure, maybe you can find a Genelec dealer and audition the speakers or a similar model. Lots of Pro-audio dealers sell them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, firedog said:

Sounds like a fantastic setup to me. Just to be sure, maybe you can find a Genelec dealer and audition the speakers or a similar model. Lots of Pro-audio dealers sell them. Or order from a place with a good return policy, just in case.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If sound quality is important, mount speakers to speaker stands e.g. model 8000-409B and nothing should be placed between two speakers. Never place loudspeakers directly on the desktop! Distance from the walls is also important for holographic stereo sound imaging, at least 1m is needed. Please refer 8030 quick setup guide page 1 and “How To Place Your Monitors” article of Genelec website.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

I agree completely with what's already been posted.  Your equipment choices are excellent.  But if I understand you correctly, you also asked if you're making a mistake with 2 channels.  I strongly suggest that you use your budget for a really good 2 channel system and get used to fine sound in stereo before considering MC.  Multichannel audio is really fine and really fun, but I would not compromise SQ to get more channels.  With the latest crop of MC "integrators" (e.g. the MiniDSP UDIO8) and DACs (e.g. the ESI Gigaport), you can easily add more channels of equal quality when you're ready.

On the other hand, if you're already on the fence about stereo vs MC, you could start with a UDIO8, a pair of less expensive but still very good 2 channel DACs (e.g. Topping, SMSL, iFi etc), and 4 8030s for about the same total outlay as the Benchmark + 2 Genelecs. 

A third MC alternative with fine SQ at lower cost is an ESI Gigaport eX and 4 Genelecs.  The Benchmark 3 is a 192k device as I recall, and it "only" does DSD64.  So you're not losing much with the ESI, which is also a 24/192 device but does not do DSD64.  I haven't compared the Benchmark with the ESI for SQ and suspect that the ESI's a tiny bit behind - but probably not by much.

I went ahead and ordered the components I mentioned. The dac is on it's way from Benchmark but the Genelec will take to mid December to arrive. I think starting with a stereo system is good advice. The sound will be a little compromised due to speaker distance from wall (not optimal distance). Nevertheless I'm sure I will be delighted. 

Kev, I'd love to hear if you got your new gear installed and if you have any comments or questions.
Note that Genelecs have DIP swiches to tailor sound to your monitor placement.
Should be a great setup!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

To answer your question DigiPete, I did and am listening to streams from Tidal as I write this. I am very impressed with both the Benchmark DAC and the Genelecs. Both pieces are incredibly rugged and appear very well thought out. The system has delightful clarity and crispness as well as definition. I've listened to some favorites and have heard musical details i was previously unaware of. Highly recommended. I haven't played with the DIP switches but intend to at some point. The placement of the speakers isn't as ideal as recommended but nearly so and I couldn't be happier.    

Happy to hear Kev!
You have indeed chosen a very competent and long lived rig.
And the Genelec 8030C's will even liven up a reasonable sized living room should you get the need.
Happy foot tapping from Copenhagen 😊

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”