IGNORED

exaSound E68 Stereo DSD512 and 8-Channel DSD256 DAC

I just ordered an Exasound s88. Kal & anyone else, a few questions if you may know the answer.

First, my system: In my family room/dining nook/kitchen area: Gotta have stuff grandchild safe/proof.

3 on wall Totem Acoustics Tribe V, 2 on wall Totem Acoustics Tribe III for surrounds. Due to dimensions of large great room area and high vaulted ceilings, more speakers not practical. TCL Series 8 75" 4k TV with Tribe Vs to sides and underneath for center speaker. Just ordered from PS Audio 3 Stellar M1200 and 2 Stellar M700 monoblocks. All components will be in closed cabinet, open back, childproof, below tv.

I love ROON. I have a Western Digital MyCloudPR4100 32TB network server with over 12 TB of music, up to 2 and 4 x DSD and up to DXD even a few 384-24! I use ROON in my currently being upgraded Trinnov/Aerial/Seaton Subwoofer home theater. 

My dedicated home theater, still under renovation/upgrade, is primary for movies. I have a basement system with 65" LG OLED as a secondary tv system. And the s88 system will primarily use the tv as a ROON video monitor (using a Google Chrome HDMI dongle).

I could connect like a Marantz SSP preamp via single-ended interconnects each monoblock, with the s88 connected via balanced interconnects to each monoblock, and when we want to watch and listen to the tv, hit the switch in back of each of the 5 monoblocks to go single-ended - too much of a pain, gettin' too old to bend down that much!

Questions:

Instead for any tv watching in family room, I could simply use tv speakers (built in Dolby Atmos) - or better yet, connect toslink cable from tv out to s88 and then I'd get stereo from tv, right?

(I do not want to use a multichannel switcher. My family area is for ME now (kids moved out, my wife passed away some years ago) so long as childproof for grandchild. George at Exasound said the Parasound 7.1 switcher works nice but is a bit of sonic degradation and I don't want that.)

Kal, any device that can take HDMI eArc out from TV and convert bitsteam t o 48k 5.1 Ch to send to s88; and if there is such a device will s88 digital to analog convert the signal and output multichannel analog? 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Exasound s88 yesterday! NICE!

Its in my family room/dining area/kitchen great room. 5.1 on wall Totem Audio system, 5 Tribe IIIs and 2 REL 7ti subwoofers. Will shortly have 3 Tribe Vs up front and 2 REL 9ti subwoofers replacing the above to go with the existing 2 Tribe III surrounds. PS Audio monoblocks, 3 Stellar M1200s and 2 Stellar M700s. Furman Ref-15i power conditioner - Must use existing 15 amp circuit, unable to put in dedicated 20 amp circuit for now without way too much heartache and cost and hassle. 75" TCL Series 8 2019 4k tv.

As my dedicated home theater still down for upgrade & renovation, I initially set up my Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP in the family room, and also used its optimization/room correction. Its remapping feature was absolutely helpful, and yes sounded even better than not using remapping. And I could adjust its Auro-3D upsampling to make 2 channel sound a bit more fuller/nicer even in a 1 layer system

However, just turning on the Exasound DAC (disconnecting the Trinnov), I am quite pleased even initially prior to recommended burn-in. Using XLR cables for 5.1 channels. The best word I can use is "fluid" - everything sounds so fluid, so connected, even more pleasing. Those "extra" capabilities of the Trinnov SSP in my dedicated theater to be 11.12.12 will be essential - not so much in my family room. I already know the "purity" of sonics of the s88 overcomes its lack of optimization/room correction features - and I understand that ROON or added software modules (for which I'd need to get a new and more powerful ROON Core device) can to some extent make up for this.

For now I am using my existing Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP. 

Out of the box, got up and running via ROON Ethernet quick and easy!

Kal, do you or anyone have any tips/shortcuts for me in experiencing the sonic nirvana potential of the s88? Should I upsample everything to DSD, 2 x DSD, 4 x DSD and/or upsample all PCM to 384-24? Any other suggestions. Should I consider getting HQ player or some other software to use in conjunction with ROON?

I am considering possibly getting a Coleman 7.1 switcher as Kal has discussed - which would make it easy to switch between tv and music - but I am still a bit concerned about degradation of music quality even if a tad. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You can also do what Kal has done and what I will shorty do as well - use a Coleman 7.1SW switcher. I have a Marantz SSP in my family room system, a 75" TCL 4k TV, and so I'll be able to switch between the s88 and the Marantz SSP. So far I've been listening strictly without a switcher and lovin' it - Kal has a reputation for great ears and has stated that the switcher did not negatively effect the sonics. I will soon find out.

Ted B, I assume if my memory is correct you are the ONE who got us going on ripping SACDs both stereo and multi-channel. So by the way, just in case you or others don't know, I recently discovered a UK website with great pricing on new and recent SACDs including multi-channel SACDs of quadraphonic recordings back in the seventies. Great pricing. I ordered a shitload of them to rip.  duttonvocalion.co.uk store: | SACD & Surround Sound | | 2

Posted at ROON Community forum link follows: At End of MultiChannel DSD256 Albums Always a Loud Pop That Can Blow Tweeters But Only If Speaker Distance Settings Are Enabled! - Roon Software - Roon Labs Community

If you use ROON for multi-channel and have some DSD256 multi-channel albums, or if you can upsample to DSD256, please play the very end of the albums at a low level (so you do not get loud pops to blow out your tweeters) and tell us if you also get the loud pops. Before you try this, go into the DSP settings and set and apply speaker distances. In my system, with my previous Sonic Transporter i7, and now with my Exasound Delta server, this occurs. Its obviously the “fault” of the ROON software, not the servers, because it occurs with both servers whenever DSD256 multi-channel is played AND speaker distances are enabled in the DSP settings. I did a ROON support tag on this several months ago but ROON has done nothing to remedy this. Its especially frustrating because I have some native DSD256 Yuko Mabuchi and other stuff and if I want to play at a good level, I need to downsample to DSD128 to avoid the loud pop that can blow my tweeters!

2 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

My S88 was shipped last week.  FedEx is still showing it is in MEMPHIS, TN.  Customs maybe or coming via ground shipping to Las Vegas.  I did get in the optional Teddy Pardo power supply.  The owner's manual says "one full week" of burn-in time.  Also, turn on 30 minutes prior to using so the internal capacitors can get up to a full charge.

I guess my question is:  Do any of you simply turn on the S88 and both power supplies and just leave them on 24/7?  I think that would be my plan.

Marcus

Me too - usually. If I turn off for nite, in the morning when I turn back on I can hear it takes awhile to sound its best. Not so when leave it on.

Make sure Customs isn't continuing to hold for paperwork. Customs in Memphis is quite incompetent. Exasound provides the correct international shipment paperwork to FedEx, but in my experience customs never can find the paperwork and Exasound has to send it to them at least once extra time. 

I love my Exasound s88 DAC! And I like the Exasound Delta Server used for ROON Core as well - (I had a Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP previously, the one with 2 ethernet ports, which is for sale now). Although the Delta does a great job including upsampling, I am finding what George at Exasound suggested in the first place, that letting the s88 do all the processing sounds as good as it gets, that playing around with upsampling in the ROON Core is hardly any difference. I find upsampling in the ROON Core to be a tad smoother at times but not better - smooth means in this case a tad of a loss of texture. I know that Kal prefers not to upsample prior to the s88 as well.

My issue with DSD256 multichannel having a pop at the very end of the album seems to have resolved. YEA! (Not sure why, but I'll take it).

Perhaps its cause I recently installed 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits, same phase, back to my theater dedicated same phase panel???

This is my family room system. Speakers are on wall and grandchild proof. 3 Totem Acoustic Tribe V with 3 PS Audio M1200 monoblocks;

2 Totem Acoustic Tribe III with 2 PS Audio M700 monoblocks; 2 REL S/510 subwoofers; PS Audio P15 power regenerator feeding 5 monoblocks on one circuit; subwoofers on other circuit. Both stereo and multi-channel sound wonderful. My theater is being redone and I used my superduper expensive Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP in the family room, using its speaker remapping and optimization/room correction; although it sounds very nice (processes up to 192-24), the s88, playing everything native up to MCh DSD256 or 2Ch DSD512, sounds better even though it has no speaker remapping or optimization. Very pleased with Exasound.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:41 AM, Desertpilot said:

Maybe some dumb questions, but here goes.

I just ordered a pair of high end speakers in the $4,500 each range (will be stereo initially but later multichannel).  My understanding is that they are very resolving so I should clean up my system to make sure quality music is sent to my speakers.  Currently, classical and jazz/blues music (mostly DSD256, DSD64 and 24/192) is stored on my QNAP NAS.  I use JRiver on my homebuilt computer to access music files, convert to PCM 24/192, and send it via HDMI (NVidia video card) to Marantz AV8805.  The Marantz does the digital to analog conversion and sends the analog signal to my amplifier, Parasound Halo A52+.  In my current multichannel system my speakers (about $500 each, designed for home theater) do not resolve well enough to hear any problems.  But, my new speakers may demand better.

As I understand it, I should use the Exasound asio driver and via USB send the file from my computer to the S88.  Correct?  The S88 takes the file and does "magic" to make sure it is "perfect".  Computers, theoretically, are messy (distortion, clock problems, etc.).  The S88 cleans all that up? 

The S88 also converts DSD to analog which I will send to the Marantz (not my amplifier).  I would also benefit from the S88's ability to convert DSD to analog?

Lastly, does the S88 DAC also function as a so-called network bridge? 

Thank you very much.

Marcus

Las Vegas, NV

Although I have a Marantz SSP in my family room system, I AM NOT routing s88 multi-channel audio through the SSP. NO THANK YOU!

I am waiting for a cable from ProAudioLA and then I will try using my Coleman 7.1SW Channel switcher. Meanwhile, I have the s88 connected direct to my 3 PS Audio Stellar M1200 and 2 PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblocks. If you route through the Marantz you will get the sonic character and limited DA conversion of the Marantz, you do not want this with the stellar s88 DAC.

Also,HDMI is a relatively poor jittery digital transfer which I know from experience. I use the s88 as a ROON Ready via ethernet from my Exasound Delta ROON Core also connected via ethernet. High quality audio transfer without excess jitter you get via HDMI!

Also, although I have used ROON to upsample, using DSD512 for 2ch and DSD256 for multi-channel, I consistently find it doesn't sound better - perhaps loses just a tad of edginess that I like - by upsampling.

Can you listen to the s88 straight to your amplifier(s)? DO this for a time and you won't want to go back to using the Marantz.

25 minutes ago, jrobbins50 said:

@Kal Rubinson and @Steve Bruzonsky, I have a Coleman 7.1sw on the way along with a boatload of ProAudioLA DB25 cables.  For two channel sources, I have been using bass management crossovers in the Marantz AV-8802A but running those Marantz inputs on Pure Direct.  Going forward, do I need to set up the bass management in Roon if I am bypassing the Marantz entirely?  Could one of you share a screenshot of how you have it set up?

For the Okto dac8pro MCH, I've used the bass management functionality within Audiolense when creating convolution filters for Roon/HQP use.  Should I be able to do the same going forward bypassing the Marantz, as the Marantz MCH inputs are the 7.1 analog ones that don't apply any bass management to begin with?

Perhaps asking the obvious, but I assume that all volume control is DSP in Roon when using the straight from Coleman to amps approach?

Thanks for the guidance.  Cheers.  JCR

In my family room system, I am not doing bass management per se on the music s88 side - I use the s88 online menu to control speaker and subwoofer volume (and individual subwoofer volume controls as well), and ROON to control speaker distances. My Marantz SSP is all separate for video only  using its Audyssey for room correction, etc - but the Marantz using ROON via Airplay doesn't compare sonically to my s88 music setup.

I may experiment with bass management in ROON at some point - right now I'm enjoying my system as is as I have it where I want it component and setup wise - again, may experiment in ROOM with its bass management etc features at some point when I recover from my current state of inherent laziness. So you can educate me hopefully. HA!

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Desertpilot said:

Hi Ted, thanks for asking.  I can't answer your question as I am very novice in this area.  I got the S88 working with my system via USB and that was my first priority.  I wanted a multichannel DAC.  I have not utilized the LAN capability because I don't know how yet.  Is there a better way to use the S88?

My objectives:

1.  Play my NAS stored music to my listening area.  I thought the only way to do that was via USB using JRiver from my PC.

2.  Play either Amazon or Primephonic streaming to my listening area.

3.  Play all of the above via S88 (lan????) to other devices (I have a separate receiver in my "man cave").  I do not know how to do this and have not really tried yet.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Marcus

You can use a separate computer as your ROON Core. I use an Exasound Delta as my ROON Core, connected via ethernet to my network. I use a Western  Digital MyCloudPR4100 32TB with all of my music, also connected via ethernet to my network. And my s88 DAC also connected via ethernet to my network. My Delta and MyCloud in in a totally separate room from my family room with the s88 system! I have hardwired ethernet as well as superfast wi-fi throughout my home. So I do not use USB at all, though I could of course connect USB by placing the Delta near the s88. Back a few years when I didn't have a ROON Ready SSP in my theater (changed from Theta Casablanca IVA SSP using Berkely USB to digital converter from Sonore Signature Rendu SE outputting USB for stereo, and a custom PC with HDMI card for multi-channel via HDMI) (moved to Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP which is ROON Ready via ethernet for both stereo and multi-channel), USB only did stereo, not multi-channel, and I don't think this changed - or has it?

By the way, I finally hooked up trigger cables from s88 to each of my five PS Audio monoblocks in sequence. The s88 settings menu allows you to set how many minutes the DAC turns essentially to standby so it does not output a 12v trigger signal. So now I leave the s88 in standby, I never touch the s88, and when I start playing music via ROON, the s88 front display comes on out of standby and its 12v signal goes out and turns on all of my monoblocks. And when ROON stops playing, the s88 front display turns off and it goes into standby with no 12v trigger signal and the monoblocks turn off. Actually, each monoblock has a switch on back I have turned to on, its the front standby switch that goes on and off via the 12v trigger signal. NIFTY!!!

Your garage receiver has to be ROON Ready via Airplay to use ROON with it. To use JRiver with it as receivers are not JRiver Ready it gets more complicated. When I had my non-ROON Ready Theta Casablanca IVA SSP, I used a custom built computer with a USB SOTM card, USB into a Berkley USB to digital converter, digital to Theta Casablanca IVA SSP.  

It may be some newer receivers may be ROON Ready via Airplay, as I haven't kept up on this. 

Marcus, you may want to compare using another computer as ROON Core and the s88 as only a ROON endpoint and "see" if it sounds better using the s88 only as a ROON endpoint, It may not as George at Exasound has done such a superb job with the s88. Some years ago initially ROON was a one device music software - I used it, after using JRiver. Then ROON updated to use a ROON Core and a separate ROON endpoint and I noticed the sonic improvement at that time immediately! Oh - what receiver are you using in your garage?

I just added a Bluesound Pulse 2i stereo ROON endpoint for use outside on my back patio when we're out there and in the pool! Via Airplay its only 44-16, if wired ethernet 192-24.

5 hours ago, Desertpilot said:

Those speakers are "ROON Ready" which explains your hi-rez connectivity.  I can get airplay to work but reduced to 16/44.1 stereo.  No worries.  I listen to music only occasionally in the man cave (garage).  I went back to HDMI from my laptop to the receiver (using either ROON or JRiver) and got 24/192 multi channel surround.  The garage receiver is ethernet connected, by the way.  I just wanted to check out the S88's streaming capability via ethernet.  And it will stream via Airplay.

I bought the S88 primarily for my "main listening room".  It works perfectly.

Marcus

We will only be using the Bluesound speaker via Airplay with wi-fi, so its "ROON Ready" ability to do up to 192-24 is for use of no use.

Keep in mind that your receiver chip is processing at either 44k or 48k - if you want to experiment, use ROON to downsample to 44k and 48k from 192k and "see" if you hear any difference. The fun of audiophilia!

• 4 weeks later...

Questions re the s88 and JRiver (its been years since I used JRiver, and when I did, USB for 2 channel and HDMI for multi-channel with a custom modded CAPSv3 with an AMD Sapphire HDMI card (for multi-channel) and a SOTM Express USB card (for stereo, higher quality sonics):

Can JRiver expand 2 channel to say 5.1 or 5.2 channel? When it does, does it simply add blank to the unused channels, or does it actually add some sonics (as does Auromatic, Dolby or DTS with a AVR or SSP)?

If yes to the above (the only circumstance by which I might consider at times using JRiver instead of ROON), does this have to be via a HDMI connection,is it done via USB, or can this be done simply via ethernet connection?

Thanks.