IGNORED

Active speaker comparison

11 hours ago, fas42 said:

Good to see the FLACs uploaded so fast ... retrieved the James Taylor tracks, aligned them in Audacity, and switched between the two while playing. This confirmed the superior rendition of the D&Ds on the day, in that session - although the difference wasn't so obvious as with the YT clip. Particularly with the last 20 secs of the track - reproduction of the tone and space around the drum kit instruments was way in front - the Grimm was muffled and closed in, in comparison.

The James Taylor track is a nice recording (2019 remaster?) but seems to be from a 50 year old master. Try the start of the Jacques Loussier Trio on all 3 speakers. The expert panel reaction tells it all, and I'd trust their experience in the room over mine listening to the samples at home even though some flavours from the original are still evident. You'd need a system at least as resolving as the Grimms to get an accurate impression, otherwise imperfections in your own system will double up or cancel with the test sample.

BTW Mark Otten (the guy in the middle) is very perceptive and knowledgeable in these comparisons. I'd like to hear his impressions on future equipment tests.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

@Alpha Audio What do you think about the microphone position? It's not in the same spot as the reviewers so we don't get to hear exactly what you did in the session. If it was we'd hear the comments louder and people moving in their seat, etc. What about recording the test tracks separately from the review session with the microphone at the sweet spot for the web audience to hear after the live stream? Could be 2-3 mins to minimise the effort and for copyright reasons. And all tracks could be carefully level adjusted. Just a suggestion?

🎸🎶🏔️🐺