IGNORED

Article: Putting Together An Audio System With Mytek, Sonus Faber, and AudioQuest

On 9/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, jcbenten said:

Involving my wife in music goes directly to simplicity of operation.  Hence she goes straight to the tv...try as I might, I cannot train her to hit an extra button or two to listen to music.  I have not been able get it simple enough.  I think an Alexa box is next.

Many came out of that mold 😚  After 48 years of daily education, my wife still tells everyone that I’ve made it so hard to turn on and use any electronics that she can’t do it by herself (fact checked as untrue by me).  So over the last year, we’ve ended up with an Echo Dot in almost every room.

The first time she asked Alexa to play music, she was like a little kid with a new toy.  But she still chokes on the syntax needed to activate functions, and little Al only knows exactly what she knows.

Once the skills are mastered, Alexa works great.  House Band lets her control JRiver Media Center.  When my wife can’t put the right commands together (which is still a problem because she doesn’t want to be bothered learning them all), she just tells Al to play whatever she wants to hear.

The Dots are paired for stereo in the living room and our bedroom, and they don’t sound half bad for casual listening.  There’s a 3 band EQ in the app, which helps a bit.  They don’t rival Chris’s new little system, but they’re great for technophobic spouses.