IGNORED

Surprising Budget Audiophile Product!

GUTB

The quality of the output waveform, especially when under load, will determine whether it's a gain. Very well sorted filtering, added on, may give you the necessary quality - but why don't just do that for the mains supply coming from the wall?

I have a 2000W inverter here, 'pure' sine out, bought at a very reasonable price, running off 12V batteries - bought for sensible reasons, like the tree crashing down in the neighbourhood knocking out the mains locally; but it could be interesting to see what it does for the audio system ...

So, not new as an idea.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

The Audio system and lighting  is about all it's good for, (IF you can access them ONLY)  as it would most likely even have trouble powering a domestic  fridge ( if at all) for more than a few hours.

It should be able to power a Microwave for intermittent use though.

Do the Maths and you will see that even 2 parallel 12V car batteries won't be able to power it for long either. 

In  a longer term blackout such as locally fallen  down trees , keeping perishable food  safe is far more important than listening to music or watching TV

Ah, the magic is that the battery is either connected via jumper leads to another one, as normally fitted to one of our vehicles - or the inverter leads are directly bolted to that car battery. Start the car, let it idle - will quite happily supply what's needed 🙂. The former method has already been used about 3 times - just another version of a camp generator.

Have already tested the inverter on our big fridge, and it will boil water for a coffee, using our 1100W microwave - a bit of petrol to keep the house power running where needed is a small price for normality ... in our area we get nasty winds at this time of the year - and it's good to know that we can keep things in order indefinitely ....

30 minutes ago, sandyk said:

No. You will find that it doesn't just apply to on the road. It can even be in a Service Station or McDonalds for example (FACTUAL!) and probably in your own yard if they feel the need to catch up on revenue.

To be pedantic about it,

Application to vehicles and combinations on roads and road-related areas. The Vehicle Standards apply to motor vehicles, trailers and combinations on roads and road-related areas.
8 What is a road
A road is an area that is open to or used by the public and is developed for, or has as one of its main uses, the driving or riding of motor vehicles.
9 What is a road-related area
A road-related area is any of the following:
(a) an area that divides a road;
(b) a footpath or nature strip adjacent to a road;
(c) an area that is open to the public and is designated for use by cyclists or animals;
(d) an area that is not a road and that is open to or used by the public for driving, riding or parking vehicles.

Which is why service stations, and fast food outlets fit ... only the very last bit could be stretched by a skillful legal chappy, to include a car on private land. But if they do that, every garage and vehicle servicing establishment is then dead in the water ... 😉.

The rules have always allowed police to get as nasty as they like, if they feel in the mood - the concept of entrapment then arises, and has frequently occurred. And people have gone to court, and won, because it was just obviously getting too silly.

46 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I think you will find that Police CAN  fine you for doing this even in your own driveway, and you will NOT win. 

Ir will come down to SAFETY and the possibility of the car while unattended ,.rolling down the driveway on to the footpath or road, so forget the idea of using a car to power household essentials during an outage unless a licensed driver remains with the car, and even then, you must remain within a metre or 2 of the car in NSW

Neither are most Inverters of the type that you are using designed for continuous running, and may overheat and fail.

All that your Inverter is good for at home is short term use powering items like a Microwave , and watching a TV etc.

So, you've now become a member of the NSW Police State, Alex ... well done!

While you're in the business of telling me on what I can and can't do, how about advising me on how many times I can go to the toilet during the day, and how often I must change my underwear - surely life is not worth living, unless there is a rigid set of rules that determine everything ... eh? 🤪.

Talking about cops and SAFETY, I recall a moron from that field who stopped a vehicle up the road on the main, two lane highway, some months ago. On a curve, he parked the police vehicle halfway across the inside lane ... we were about to pass a semi-trailer when all of a sudden he started to veer sharply into our lane - the driver of the truck only realised at the last moment what was in front of him, and had to react sharply - could have been a very nasty incident.

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

It would appear that I have upset you by pointing out that the Inverter you purchased is really only suitable for short time use when away from mains power and was never designed to do what you require of it.

What you do think I require of it?

On 9/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, fas42 said:

I have a 2000W inverter here, 'pure' sine out, bought at a very reasonable price, running off 12V batteries - bought for sensible reasons, like the tree crashing down in the neighbourhood knocking out the mains locally; but it could be interesting to see what it does for the audio system ...

So, you have an issue with this?