IGNORED

Help transfering and translating from Windows formatted Western Digital external to Mac formatted Oyen hard drive

I have been using a PC Windows based music server with an external 1 TB Western digital hard drive filled (way less than half full) with WAVE (Red Book) and HDTracks downloaded RedBook and High Resolution FLAC music files.

I now have a Mach2 version of a Mac-Mini music server computer. I have already erased abd re-formatted my 1 TB Oyen 800 Fire Wire external drive to Apple format (ready to receive music files). However, I now need to plug my WD Windows formatted hard drive (USB external) into my new Mac Mini USB port while plugging the Oyen into the Mac-Mini's Fire Wire port.

What are the exact steps required to translate the wD drives' WAVE and downloaded FLAC files and then transfer them to the Apple ready Oyen external hard drive?

I would be more greatful than you can imagine for a concise set of instructions to get this done, without needing to translate and transfer only several music folders/files at a time. I am assumming that I will be translating all to AIFF files? Thank you so much.

Lance A.

Lance,

Why do you want to convert to AIFF? I assume you would like to use Itunes?

Itunes won't play FLAC, but I'm not sure there's not another way to play the files.

Anyway, I think you can just plug in your PC formatted external drive to the USB and just copy the files to the new drive. No conversion will take place as the difference between the PC filesystem and MAC filesystem should be invisible beyond the OS.

There is a program called Maxx which will convert FLAC files to AIFF on the MAC. Or, you could use dbPoweramp to convert the files with a PC, prior to transfer.

There's a thread here on CA that discusses this that might be helpful.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Converting-FLAC-collection-AIFF

Cheers,

Jamie

AIIF (CA Ripping Guide) > Netgear ReadyNAS Duo > 1Gb Ethernet > MacBook Pro > Itunes > USB/Toslink > PS Audio DLink III > Peachtree Decco (refurb) > Frugal Horn Mk3 (DBPowerAmp from CD, HDTracks) > Netgear ReadyNAS Duo > 1Gb Ethernet > Dell Latitude D820 > Foobar > AISO4All > MusicStreamer II > MF V-Can > Sennheiser HD 650

you do NOT need to convert your FLAC files. Since you use a mac all you need to do is to NOT use Itunes and go with Stephen Booth's players , Play for 32 bit, Ayrewave for 64 bit.

These awesoem players will play Flac nativley without any plugins needed and are so much better in terms of their sound

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.