IGNORED

Will tube preamp add?

19 hours ago, al2813 said:

I know this is not a strictly DAC question, but my DAC is part of it, hence posting here 🙂

I have just completed my room setup which is now becoming my main music listening post. I ditched the living room which will now remain as a TV + occasional listening post. My room is an attic of about 5.5 x 3 meters in 2 levels. The lower level is which is the listening area, is about 3,5 x 3 meters. The setup I have now is: 

Hypex Ncore HP250MP x 2 dual mono power amp

Topping D50s DAC 

Raspberry pi 4 - Ropieee XL used as Roon bridge 

KEF LS50 speakers 

I do not consider myself as an audiophile. Am still a starter in this and i don't think I have the hearing and the experience to be on. Yet, this is the first setup I've had that I believe allows me to critically listen to music recordings. And I want to take it further. I was first considering to upgrade my DAC, but after a lot of reading, I am starting to get the feeling I will not achieve a lot in upgrading the DAC (happy to hear different opinions with recommendations). On the other hand I hear a lot about adding a tube preamp that can give this setup a bit of "analogue magic". This is something I have zero experience with and happy to get some recommendations. I have no budget defined yet, but as you can see from the rest of my setup, I am a big fan of spending reasonable amount for items that can delivery above thier weight. 

I had LS50's  about a year ago. They sounded better with the Prima Luna tube amp than the MOSFET modified Hafler DH200. So you may want to try a tube amp instead of your SS (Class D?) amp

Regards,

Dave

Audio system