IGNORED

I received my Yggdrasil, and have a question...

I was rather disappointed by my Yggy at first.  After a couple days I started appreciating what it does well.  It’s not going to do everything better than every DAC.  I spent weeks going back and forth between it and my Mirus Pro and ultimately the Yggy ticked the most important boxes for me and stayed and eventually the Mirus was sold.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

39 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am sending native, non upsampled bits to it now, letting the mega burrito filter do its thing.

Yep that’s the way to do it.  In fact I find that the Yggy is weaker than other DAC’s I’ve had with hires content.  Just my subjective opinion.  It’s the redbook king IMO.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, however they say a few days to hear a difference, not an entire month...

I didn’t hear much for change after the first few days.  I suspect it was just me getting used to it at that point.

Listen to it for a couple weeks and then go back to your other DAC for a couple weeks.  Repeat if need be.  If you don’t find things that you like more with the Yggy in extended listening it’s not the DAC for you.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

The DA2 module in my McIntosh MAC7200? I can tell you that's probably not going to happen considering I like the Modi Multibit more than I do the DA2. I do have another DAC I can plug into it, although that's not what I bought it for.

Ok that makes sense, I hated the DAC in my C46 as well harsh highs and exaggerated bloated bass.  Add in the pops when switching back and forth between DSD and PCM...

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well, I am home and the Yggy after being on all this time is sounding WONDERFUL!

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 8.13.30 PM.png

HQPlayer?  Do you have the bit depth set to 20?

31 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

No, it's set to default, which is what I think it's called, I'd have to check. But the Yggy gets sent 32 bits according to HQP.

I think you should set it to 20 bit, let HQP do some nice dithering instead of the rounding or truncating to 20 bit the Yggy does internally.

13 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I'll give it a shot.

Not sure if this can be done but I’d also try setting HQPlayer to not upsample at all and only dither your 24 bit content down to 20 bit if you have 24 bit content.

The Yggy is really really good when fed with red book.  IMO not quite as good with hi-res.  Again IMHO.