IGNORED

Lumin U1 Network Error

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, JMellin said:

It might be so, but not if you ask the vendors making audio network  cables, Luna, Anzus, Supra & Chord to name a few.
My best guess is that it depends on multiple factors.
For my particular system, I can't say it's much of a difference between a cheap UTP and an expensive STP cable.

There are people who will say and believe any side of any situation on Earth. That doesn't make it so, and I know you aren't saying it's true just because people who sell the cables say it's true. Heck, 39 people killed themselves because they thought they'd catch a ride on a spacecraft behind the Hale-Bopp comet, and they purchase alien abduction insurance the month before this. 

The thing with shielded cables is that they make no sense. The shield provides a direct connection between devices that doesn't need to be there and in fact causes issues. 

Does anyone know the justification for including a shield in an Ethernet cable used for audio?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Just read the statement, please look where you put your foot down, it may be in a puddle.... it's possible to use STP since the level of noise rejection is the highest. <--- Justification

STP is fine iff (if and only if) the equipment is bonded to the same potential, typically in a star earth system. Industrial Ethernet uses ruggedised NICs but can suffer the same pitfalls as audio.

"With digital signals, hum is not an issue; however, due to poor bonding techniques, ground-point differentials can exist between equipment residing in different cabinets. If your Ethernet cable shielding is the only thing bridging the differential voltage, bad things can happen. "      Link to article

This is the same with audio, when the shield in the STP only bonds the sender and receiver together, there's trouble. 

In my system, there's an Ethernet STP that connects SACD player direct to DAC and Lumin U1 to DAC, all equipment is earthed back to the same AC distributor. No noise/dropouts. The cable from the music server to the Lumin is UTP, since I would have to install a separate 12-6AWG size wire between the server and the Lumin to use STP. When that distance is 25m, the motivation is not there, since at the time of installation network audio was barely though of. 

Shielded cables stop the noise getting in, and prevent signal getting out it from getting out (magnetic fields excepted).  In my home office I don't use shielded power cables, SMPS wall warts are a plenty, run and tie power cables direct with audio / Ethernet signal cables and the sound is, as expected, $hit. In that situation, music is there as background, but sometimes I have to stop listening, the digitalitis is irritating. 

I don't know anyone with 480 volt electrical lines running parallel with their Ethernet cables connected to their audio systems. I'll stand by my statement that shielded cable has no justification in an audio system and in fact will cause more problems than it will ever solve. 

Just me though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png