IGNORED

Mac mini not on CASH list?

wgscott

• 4 weeks later...

I don't read absence as lack of endorsement, but only that Chris hasn't reviewed it.

It seems like a large percentage of folks here have it.

When I first found this bb, I was surprised that people who were spending tens or possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars on audio equipment were opting for the the least expensive mac. But if it sounds as good as a huge tower with 8 processors in it, why not?

The HDMI on the 2010 mini made me run out and buy it on the first day. It makes it perfect as a non-lobotomized "apple TV" music and video server. I had a stock 2009 mini before. The sound from the 2010 is certainly no worse, and others claim it is an improvement. (The video is very definitely better, FWIW.) It is also quite energy efficient, so you can leave it on all the time without feeling guilty.

There's certainly no question as to which is more easily integrated into an existing "static" HT or audio setup. I actually use both-the MBP for much of my initial testing (ie, new software, new additions to the media library) and the Mini for the end result.

Mac Mini 2010/2.4GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD[br]HiFace USB/Coax adapter[br]Drobo 4x2TB media storage[br]Denon 3808ci receiver (used as pre/pro)[br]Oppo BDP-83 universal BD/DVD/CD player[br]JVC DLA-HD250 projector[br]Rotel RMB-1095/RB-1080 power amps[br]VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SME 309/ATML150/SDS/SAMA turntable assembly[br]Quad 44 preamp ( with MM and MC phono modules)[br]Dynaudio Audience center/surround/rear speakers[br]Dynaudio Aries F/R speakers[br]NHT 1259/Rythmik Audio 12\" subwoofer[br]

posted by Chipchas last November. His post partially reads:

"I have been considering a 2010 Mac Mini (with upgraded RAM and maybe SSD) to free up the Macbook Pro. I've read a few postings that a MB Pro "easily betters" a Mini??? Has any body compared them? How far wrong could I go with the Mini? I would prefer to get a Mini, but maybe I should I stick with the Macbook Pro as the server and get another lap top for computing duties??"

Chipchas, if you're still with us, what have you done in the meantime?

I don't have a Mac Mini yet, but I am contemplating installing a SSD in my MacBook Pro.

I'll give you my experience with my Macs and let you form your own opinion. The Mini works as well for me as my i7 MBP for audio playback, and I have heard no difference between the two using the same software and equipment (not a true A/B test and certainly not a blind one, but the only one I can afford!). I did eliminate the variables after the digital audio out (ie, the same D/A, amp, speakers, etc), so I do know the only difference is certain specs between the two computers, which I believe is restricted to the processors and data bus speed (both are 64 bit capable and run 64 bit apps while booted into "32 bit" OS mode). The new MBP is "better" than the Mini for some specifications, but those differences appear to be irrelevant to audio playback, at least based on my experience with my 5 Macs (G5 dual 1.8 tower, 1st Gen MBP C2D 2.16, 09 Mini C2D 2.53, 2010 Mini C2D 2.4, i7 MBP 2.66) and my observation of the processor "exertion" as displayed by the Activity Monitor utility. I actually began with the objective of using my G5 tower, but the form factor (it's rather large) and fan noise made that an undesirable option. The G5 was more than sufficient for my needs from an audio playback performance perspective, but the other factors killed that option. I also get very good performance from my 1st gen MBP C2D, which is a fraction of the computing power of the 09 and up Minis (which all have Core2Duo processors) and an even smaller fraction of the processing power of the i7 MBP, but again I wanted the form factor of the Mini so I could more easily integrate it into my HT setup, so the C2D MBP will be applied to a different problem or sold on eBay.

I have a dedicated 1080p monitor for my HT setup (the main display is a projector, which is not practical for general setup tasks), so I don't need the display capabilities of the MBP, but if you don't have a dedicated display to use, that may sway your final decision. BTW, I have not yet installed the SSD in my Mini (despite my signature), partly because I am content with the playback performance I get with the stock Toshiba 5400 rpm SATA drive and partly because swapping HDs in the Minis (old and new models) is a PITA. I do have an SSD in my i7 MBP, but again, it was not for audio playback but for improved OS performance and other benefits-if it affects the audio playback, I can't tell, and I have not performed any testing to see if there is a measurable difference. For the 2010 Mini, I loaded up the memory before I did any serious listening (that was easy and cheap and was before I decided to dedicate it to media use), so I can't say if that improved the playback or not (it would not seem to be a factor, but that is only speculation).

I tried to avoid opinions and give you my experience, which will hopefully help you form your own opinion. Good luck!

Mac Mini 2010/2.4GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD[br]HiFace USB/Coax adapter[br]Drobo 4x2TB media storage[br]Denon 3808ci receiver (used as pre/pro)[br]Oppo BDP-83 universal BD/DVD/CD player[br]JVC DLA-HD250 projector[br]Rotel RMB-1095/RB-1080 power amps[br]VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SME 309/ATML150/SDS/SAMA turntable assembly[br]Quad 44 preamp ( with MM and MC phono modules)[br]Dynaudio Audience center/surround/rear speakers[br]Dynaudio Aries F/R speakers[br]NHT 1259/Rythmik Audio 12\" subwoofer[br]

I loaded up my new MBP with 8gb from OWC (in addition to their premium 240gb SSD) and couldn't be happier. I'll certainly work with them going forward.

NOTE: I thought I had trouble with my RAM, too, until I took everything apart again and made *sure* it was properly seated in the slot - after that, it's been flawless. User error here :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Mine is also OWC-their in-house brand:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

BTW, I use the same set on my i7 MBP as I do in the 2010 Mini.

WGscott, are you still forcing 64 bit mode with your Mini? If so, have you verified that all the kernels are 64 bit (or replaced the ones that were not)?

You mean all kernel extensions?

Anyway, 32-bit only kernel extensions won't load in 64-bit mode, but I don't have any.

I also booted into the 32-bit kernel and the problem only got worse (immediate kernel panics).

I also ran memory tests that indicated problems.

They offered to replace it for me, so I have sent it back to OWC. There is just a nagging feeling that there might be something wrong with my computer, that the larger memory bank somehow unmasks. Oh well, I guess I should just relax, as it is still under warranty.

Some other people on the Apple BB reported similar problems to mine, FWIW.

Thanks for resurrecting my post, Audiozorro.

I was very close to purchasing a stock 2010 Mac Mini, but I'm not the do it yourself type. I decided on a Mach2 Mini. I am using the MB Pro to screen share- works like a charm.

My MB Pro is stock (2.53GHz, 4GB) using internal memory. The Mach 2 has a 40GB SSD, 8 GB, external firewire drive for memory.

I compared the computers. Both were using Pure Music (version 1.63, with memory play, Hog mode, upsample using power of 2), Shunyata Hydra power conditioning, Ayre QB-9. USB, computer power, and Firewire cables are OEM.

I find the Mach2 has improved the sound stage in both width and depth. There is a blacker back ground and better detail. There is an improved sense of ease. Maybe there is better definition in the bass. I was perfectly happy with the MB Pro and only got the mini so I could use the internet while listening to music. And so I wouldn't have to keep moving the laptop in and out of my system. Nice change.

Chipchas

Shunyata Hydra 6, Mach2 Mini, 1 TB datatale, Ayre QB-9, McCormack MAP-1, McCormack HT-5, Vandersteen 2ce sig2

Chipchas, can you comment on the software differences (especially the OS) between your Mach2mini and your Macbook Pro? I assume that you tersted both of your machines with the same playback app, but if that was different, please let us know.

Sorry for the over sight. I definitely should have mentioned the differences in software. I tested both the MB Pro and the Mach2 Mini with Pure Music. The Mach2 has "optimization scripts" for PM. I actually haven't tried PM without the "optimization scripts". If it is of interest, I could compare PM with and without the script. However, the rest of the OS is also modded by Mach2. If you read www.mach2.com you will know as much as I. It was far from an apples to apples comparison. The MB Pro is stock and the Mini is modded (software and hardware).

For what it is worth, the MB Pro has OSX 10.6.6 and the Mini 10.6.5.

Hope this answers your question, Audiozorro

Chipchas

Shunyata Hydra 6, Mach2 Mini, 1 TB datatale, Ayre QB-9, McCormack MAP-1, McCormack HT-5, Vandersteen 2ce sig2

Excuse me, but what is the reason now of chasing modded mac minis?

Isn't the stock one ready to do the job?

I thought that all that was needed was to use it's optical out or usb out, and the mini has both of them already in place. Order it from Apple, maybe raise its memory and you are in business.

Edit: there is also another thread on this: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Cash-List-No-Mac-Mini

i havent looked at the headless mini, but dont you still need some other interface (ipod, ipad, another computer) in order to control it. That is added cost even though probably a lot of people had 1 of those interfaces before hand. For those who didnt though that would have to be factored in.

Imac > Offramp4 > Ayon Skylla > Eddie Current B.A./Stax 717 > LCD-3/SR007 mk1