IGNORED

Article: Simple Raspberry Pi Fun Without a Power Supply

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We have Sonic Orbiter ported to the Pi platform. Any interest in this from the DIY community? 

Definitely.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

For sure!  I’d love to see how it compares to Roon Bridge on a current Pi.  The big question will be if and how it redefines the value proposition in audio.

As I recall, it’s been running on ARM SoCs from inception, so the Pi is a logical home for it. But much of its sonic advantage in commercial devices has been attributed by Sonore and others to hardware components described in promotional literature as “better than consumer grade”.  So I’m wondering how much of its potential can be achieved in the Pi, given the build-to-a-price-and-purpose development that kinda makes a Pi the ultimate consumer-grade device.  I’ve paid more for resistors and caps than a Pi costs.

This begs the question of whether the Pi itself and/or associated factors like PS and OS limitations are the final determinants of SQ.  If they are, we may be at the limit now.  If not, let’s see how far past the already excellent Roon Bridge we can go on it.

Thanks for advancing the art while making it more affordable!

AFAIR, one of the reasons Sonore says their endpoints are superior is that the OS only runs one ot the playback software platforms at a time, and the setup is slightly optimized for each one in turn. I'm wondering if this would also apply to the OS on a Pi.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)