IGNORED

Whats the best way to make YOUTUBE sound good from windows PC??

10 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

We all know you can play music through a player or a streamer to get optimal sound for your flac/wav/dsd files, but what about best way to play youtube?

probably very few lossless files on youtube (if at all?, is there a way to search just for hd, and do the hd all have lossless audio?)

no way to use a player like jriver to upsample?

Is there a way to stream it so you don't have to use noisy usb?

without building a high perfomance server with audio optimizing software, what is the best way to be able to play youtube from a windows pc?

The best way is to Download only those that you really want to keep using freeware such as 4K Video downloader .

If you also have suitable Video Software such as TMPGEnc Video Mastering Software you can usually Demultiplex the audio from the video with the .mkv version, and in most cases you will also find a 529kbps .aac Audio track.

It is also possible to also download the .mp4 version as well, and Multiplex the newly discovered audio with the video of the .mp4 and create even a much larger file size version as a BluRay format file with this audio instead of the normal <128 kbps that we hear.

Even converting the lowly <128kbps YouTube Audio to LPCM results in a better sounding file, but nowhere near as good as the 529kbps version.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

i meant i wanted to be able to play from youtube.com and just everything...i found out that Jriver has a wdmdriver where you can just select that as your driver and everything will be routed through jriver as your default speaker, that way you can upsample even youtube while you are watching it from youtube.com...i haven't tried it yet as i had a hard drive failure and busy doing restores...will try it tomorrow...anyway if i am reading correctly, i can upsample youtube.com to dsd rates

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver

G.I.=G.O. :P

You can't do too much to improve a lossy format such as <128kbps .aac audio just by upsampling  .

You may be able to get higher quality audio from YouTube by a paid subscription

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

i meant i wanted to be able to play from youtube.com and just everything...i found out that Jriver has a wdmdriver where you can just select that as your driver and everything will be routed through jriver as your default speaker, that way you can upsample even youtube while you are watching it from youtube.com...i haven't tried it yet as i had a hard drive failure and busy doing restores...will try it tomorrow...anyway if i am reading correctly, i can upsample youtube.com to dsd rates

B&M

A brand new video, selected randomly.

You choose, upsampled or any way you like .

OR

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi29pptboo2f6l2/Ellie Goulding - Power.mp4?dl=0

39 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

many times i will download videos if i like them, but if i am just "surfing", would just like a way to possibly make them sound better...thinking an fpga dac may help...something that upsamples everything, not just what a music player sends it....

Let's see if this works :$ The hidden Audio

Upsampling 127kbps .aac audio won't help much. This one is 529kbps .aac 

PSY - GANGNAM STYLE(강남스타일) M V-0x0002.aac

BigAlMc                  A very recent S/W update (yesterday)  to 4K Video Downloader to accommodate very recent YouTube format changes ,now has even the .mp4 version  showing the hidden 529kbps track when Demultiplexed, which reduces the amount of processing needed, but still can't be used without re encoding the .mp4 video with the new audio instead. However you still need Video conversion S/W to do this. 

As shown in my previous post , if you use suitable Video S/W you can separately save the new Audio track without processing it, instead of using an .mp3 audio version that some download S/W give as an option.

What we are coming up against here, is that Vevo and YouTube obviously do not want people to do this, and keep changing the format of their video, so no solution is likely to be permanent, so in the meantime save as many of your favourite videos with the improved audio as you can .¬¬ 

P..S

Try using the Freeware 4K Video Downloader and select the .mkv version to save. It is possible that your current player MAY be able to directly play .mkv files

15 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

but that is audio only...can you download the video so that it has 529k audio?

That should have been all that you needed to compare with the video as I would have needed to upload the saved file to Dropbox.  I opted to give you a quick answer in this case.¬¬

Let me know how you get on with 4K Video Downloader when you select the .mkv version. The audio should sound better than the usual mp4 version, although you may need to find a suitable freeware player.

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

i downloaded it now and just saved as mkv thanks!

Don't forget that you can also DL complete playlists ¬¬

16 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

yea, i saw that....and even set it to subscribe to a channel so you get downloads automatically...i don't think i will do that though..i like random selections and don't want to build up the library too big, but maybe 500 will be a nice start.

Good news. :) The price was affordable too. ¬¬

12 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

how do you know what the bitrate is in the mkv file?

I know because I use a video S/W program to demultiplex the audio and create a larger size BluRay format video with LPCM Audio that I can play with my Oppo 103 , although I should now see if it can play .mkv files directly .

All of the audio that I have demultiplexed this way shows as 529kbps .aac audio

I will try to check out your example to see what it says, although 4K videos are normally in .webm format

4K Bliss .mkv is also 529kbps .aac audio 

BTW, Eva Cassidy sounds a bit better on the CD Best Audiophile Voice 2 in 16/44.1 

9 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

i didn't even realize there was so much 4k and even 8k videos on youtube these days.  (too bad i dont have an 8k tv "yet")...this one is pretty amazing considering it was posted on youtube 10 years ago!

Many 4K videos appear to have been upsampled, and there are others that are really only also available in  4K for boasting purposes.

I have seen some 1080 Pro videos that look more like 4K because they have been made at an extremely high bit rate. 

Even when converted to a lower bit rate as needed for general purposes they can still look stunning.

A good example of this is NIKITA - ХОЗЯИН [OFFICIAL VIDEO] which is an Adults ONLY version,.so I won't post the link in the forum as it may not be appreciated by some members.

Planeta Payner also has a lot of European Videos in 4K such as : MARIA & AZIS - KAZA LI GO _ Мария и Азис - Каза ли го, 2014.

Another one of the better known ones available in 4K is Ed Sheeran -Perfect : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vv-BfVoq4g&list=PL6lTaUIJMYI4xY8I-TVyTLjRDdsStR2h2