IGNORED

Is now the right time for "Extreme Week"?

2 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

I'd also love to hear speculation about what these times will do for music in general.  In the past, hard times have often led to creativity blossoming and some of our best music seems to come from the darkest times.  Are we about to repeat that pattern

I was wondering as well where this will lead, here are some  thoughts which I think shows some valid elements:
There is one thing for sure (imho): mega concerts and festivals are not on the agenda this and perhaps next year, and I would wonder if the bonanza the Rolling Stones had last year between June and August  will ever happen again for them.
I took the example of the mega bucks earner due to the changing pattern how stars were making money during the last years, with record sales plunging, redcord deals not lucrative anymore,  the focus of the top stars last year was  somehow "Q&D", either a 3 month mega stadium tour like the Rolling Stones (16 shows) or high value concerts with smaller crowds in just  a couple of cities like Madonna, Bruno Mars or Lady Gaga (6/4/11 cities).
OTOH, I see social distancing on concerts for artists, who are really financially dependent on the "door" as quite critical.
Does that lead to more sales of intangible/tangible media? I doubt that. And It will have a negative effect on the club scenery in every big city, too.
Eventually, the "PATREON" system will be one of their important options of crowdfunding, However it will be a mess if this way of financing artistry will be overflown by masses of concertless & hungry artists.
All summed up, I'd say that entertainment and beverage industry, like the multi-billion sports business, will look at pre-covidean times as some golden age while they have hard times to return to that level.
We would be only "a bit" lucky, if crisis creativity would present us with some blossomed output over our streaming services, most artist would not be able to live from that ...
sorry for the bad news ...
(numbers taken from Pollstar year end publications)