IGNORED

HQPlayer Pops & Ticks

Thx Jussi 

Looking for a 2080 Super for 650-700 USD should do the trick.

I am a bit shocked that the 9900k /not the KS is only marginally better than the 6700k for the EC modulators.

I have an offer for 2300 USD for a pre-order 10900k (2 months to put together as COVID 19 shutdown is still hitting the supply ) with a ASROC Z490 Taichi MB. and Zotac 2070Super with 16 gb ADATA 3600 ghz RAM and a 360mm closed loop water cooling system

It is at this price as I have stripped out the SSD, HDD, OS, headless unit/// I will cannabilze the parts from my 6700k server.

Worrisome is the 230 watts heat output at 5.3 ghz pre-boost operations level. Needs 6 fans to cool the case the whole shebang(Even with a humongous twin fan 360mm Coolmaster Closed loop cooling system!)

This beast has to have lots of power treatment, remote siting, for it to sound good. NAA is a must . No USB direct connection will sound good from what I think?

No way I can use any audiophile Linear PSU looking at 20AMP steady current at least just for the CPU- Peak Current on spinning up for HQ upsampling may be 25 -30 amps!

The 2070 Super will probably take 215-220watts at 12 v - this is another 20plus amp on boot up 

Any comments from anyone?

Thx

Kelvin

Further experimentation shows :
1. DSD256 ASDMEC7 xrt-mp-2 will run smoothly. 

2. After I switched the AC to 27deg C - just for testing, CPU fan spin at Full Speed, Throttling as CPU percent drops to less than 5% - Sound sputters, and jerky sound. 

3. Upgrading to a Noctua NH-DH12a should solve this heat throttling

4. Waiting for a 2070 Super to appear on the used market.

EC7 and DSD256 sounds so GREAT!

Kelvin

Forgot to add; the jump in performance before throttling hit was the removal of 2 banks of Elfidelity DRAM FILTERS and adding back 2x8 gb - so all 4 DIMM slots filled up with 2x16 and 2x8 gb. 

Runs smoothly DSD256 /EC 7 and xtr -2s on a lowly 6700k with a GTX970m 4 gb GPU.

Not to lame!!

I just found a Noctua NH-12a on local market. Installing it tomorrow. 
Will report back.

Kelvin

Hi Jussi Noctua U-12a is awesome. Got it from Newegg. Stripped out the standard CPU cooler and installed the U-12a very smoothly. 

Testing on ASDMEC7 on polysinc xtr-mp-2s on both 1x and 2x plays but stutters

on mp-2s works on 1x and  non -2s on 2x upsampling!!!

Pressed the trigger and a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8 Gb .. Triple Fan on the way👏👍

Will report back