IGNORED

Can Bad Recordings sound Good?

KOB: I don't have an original vinyl version, so can't comment on that. But I have a 60's and 70's vinyl version and neither "sound good" in the technical sense: On those versions, and also on my 80's CD, listen to the horns as they enter in So What - they're distorted. Just one example. And in general the bass is weak and you don't get the real sound of a double bass in all it's subtleties. 

I can compare it to a jazz recording from about the same era (1957), Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (ironically Miles' rhythm section of the day): That recording just sounds better in every way in terms of the technical side. 

The modern remasters correct some of the faults of KOB, but not all the way. The 2013 digital remasters sound much better than older versions.

In spite of not being a great technical recording,  the recording does do a great job of conveying the feel of the players playing together - probably because it was essentially a simple recording (compared to today) that recorded the players playing live together. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I’m not surprised. In those days, nobody could touch Rudy Van Gelder when it came to recording jazz. Whether mono or “stereo” he was the best.

Not sure what you are referring to. Neither KOB or Meets he Rhythm Section is RVG: The Pepper was produced by Leonard Koenig and engineered by Roy DuNaan. DuNaan was a great engineer if you find some of his recordings.  KOB was engineered by Fred Plaut. 

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Confused said:

nobody reading this thread would want to listen to Neneh Cherry anyway,

Why? I like her. Not everything she does is like her 80's pop hits.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sandyk said:

I don't have the measurements, but John Dyson checked this recording to see if it had improperly decoded Dolby-A and made that remark.

This double CD was originally sent to me by a Music Teacher in the U.K. who has heard the Master tapes and knows the hall it was recorded in. Ian originally sent me the CDs as a gift as he wasn't happy with his own rip of it.

61SY6bweA4L__SL1203_.jpg

LPO Mahler -Resurrection.jpg

Didn't know this one. Am listening on Qobuz. Very good recording and performance. You can really hear all the instruments and their place in the orchestra. Sound is what I would call mid-hall on the floor perspective, which also helps give a feeling of being there listening to it. 

35 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Strangely, the recording that has the most visceral impact on me (Bernstein/VPO) has a DR of only 11.

That's my favorite recording of the Mahler. The dynamics are stunning. That last movement can make you jump out of your seat  if you aren't prepared for it. Several years ago I heard that symphony performed live by the NHK Orchestra and the next day I auditioned the Kii Threes. I played that Mahler recording and the Kiis ability to reproduce it was a factor in my decision to buy them.