IGNORED

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player

On 5/5/2020 at 9:34 PM, manueljenkin said:

I think the word command line puts off many people as hard to use. The reality is that it is just as easy to use as mouse interaction and often way quicker and far more automatable and rule customizable. Once you go command line, you'd want to do it for almost any task except the ones where you really need tracking. Also the auto fill commands/shortcuts are just as robust so what would take multiple clicks and navigation in a custom mouse interaction would be just a few tab button presses in command line.

Also one more thing about wtfplay is that it doesn't have any write permissions. The OS usage corrupting your data should be in the last of worries when using wtfplay.

Have you tried any 'cloud players' that play files from Google Drive?

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

The premise of this is questionable because you might be comparing apples to oranges. For example I use HQPlayer with NAA and DSD upsampling/conversión with EC modulators. None of the other options do that. To compare players fairly you could do the least common denominator — which I’m not interested in, otherwise you need to optimize a system independently for each software package. 

OP is correct, why bother with DSD upsampling when only .001% of the population use or will ever use it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 2:37 AM, airguitar said:

Hi all - I'm just glossing over this topic and feel pressed to ask - generally speaking if you are using a dedicated streamer with dedicated music software for that particular 'audiophile' streamer - surely it's more than up to the task of producing the best sound because the manufacturer has optimised the software for the hardware. Example Auralic.

OK it's fun to play with PC software players but, if you didn't want to mess about and just cut to the chase check out someone like Auralic.

I dunno - am I missing the point here?

Not sure Auralic is a good example, they make you worry that you need their external upsampler and clock..

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, bodiebill said:

Can PureASIOPlayer be used with Diretta ASIO? Anyone doing this?

WTFPlay and XXHighendPlayer are wonderful players indeed, however I am looking for players that can apply my Acourate correction files on-the-fly and preferably do DSD.

JRiver is my database manager of choice. I never used it as a player, but its SQ has come closer to my favorites, especially after using Diretta.

General setup:

(1) PC/Android server/control point >

UPnP >

(2) NUC Diretta host with GentooPlayer >

Diretta >

(3) Afterdark Rosanna streamer (RPi4) Diretta target with GentooPlayer

USB >

Audio-GD DI-20HE >

I2S >

Holo Spring 3 L2 with preamp module

Possibilities:

• minimserver or JRiver (on 1) as server
  • UPPlay, JRiver or BubbleUPnP (on 1) as control point
  • minimserver, JRiver (on 1) or APlayer (Media Renderer) (on 2) as upsampler
  • minimserver, JRiver (on 1), APlayer (Media Renderer), CamillaDSP (on 2) as convolver
  • APlayer Media Renderer, gmediastreamer or mpd/upmpdcli (on 2) as renderer
  • APlayer, gmediastreamer or mpd/upmpdcli (on 2, omitting 1) as player

Too early for a final verdict: I am still experimenting with the (too many) combinations and assessing the effects on SQ. I would expect that moving the heavier processes (resampling, convolution) to the PC rather than the NUC would be beneficial but that does not always seem the case.

Which Aplayer? There seems to be a few on the play store. Thanks!