IGNORED

Article: Review | RAAL-requisite SR1a Earfield Headphone Monitor

On 8/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, tmarshl said:

Thanks.   I have had audiophile speaker systems for many years.   Due to downsizing in retirement, I had to get rid of my MBL Radialstrahler speakers, and I was afraid I would never recapture that experience.  But the Raal SR1a "earfield monitors" have proven me wrong.  I don't miss having speakers at all!

I've heard the Radialstrahler's and they are superb. But I do understand what the Raal's have done for you. I assembled the speaker based system I wanted for the past two decades, finally,  but I find myself listening to the Raals, 2/3rds of the time. 

And I never, ever, expected this. 

JC

18 minutes ago, austinpop said:

That's the average for everyone who gave a star rating to the article. You can click on it too and give it 5 stars. That will push up the average!

Thanks for clarifying, I should have noted that. I new there was no way Chris would give it less than extra stars, and certainly not less than the max.

JC

• 3 months later...
23 hours ago, yyz said:

I have the SR1a and the new HSA-1b amp from RAAL in for demo. I was not able to get the new RAAL silver cable for this combo which is supposed to be even better. This RAAL pairs is an incredible system and very much like may brilliant Thiel CS3.7 which has professional DRC done and implemented as ROON Convolution files (in other words it sounds perfect). These headphones are so close to that sound, wow!

I tried the SR1a with my Benchmark HPA4 preamp and single AHB2 amp with a Delta Sigma Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro DAC. It was too hot on top and underpowered. It was close to 85% on the volume for moderate volume. Next week I am getting my second AHB2 for my Thiel CS3.7's to run in mono and I bet that that will be an excellent power source. I think a warm DAC will make it also very good with the Benchmark stack. Though I doubt ANY 2 channel amp will be as good as this RAAL HSA-1b preamp/headphone amp (no amp interface or speaker wires to cross).

I heard my warm sounding SACD player, the Sony SCD-1 (with mods), on the Benchmark stack and it was close to the HSA-1b in sound though underpowered in AHB2 stereo mode.

BTW - thanks to this thread I was able to hear this stuff.

Happy New Year. 

I'm not familiar with the new RAAL Silver cable, and cannot find a reference to it on their website? 

1 hour ago, yyz said:

After more listening sessions I have decided to get the HSA-1b. Crossing the Amp Interface and the speaker wires just cannot be as good as a direct connection with the HSA-1b.  The SR1a is so good that I do not want to short change it with an external amp.

This is an amazing review of the HSA-1b. 

https://forum.headphones.com/t/raal-requisite-hsa-1b-switch-drive-amplifier-review/9973?u=mrcypruz

Very interesting review, thanks for posting it. While I agree that having the amp connected via the SR1a interface isn't optimal, as good as the HSA-1b appears to be, losing the preamp that I am currently using in the system is not something I would choose to give up. And, as good as the HSA-1b seems, an integrated amplifier at this price is not something I can possibly imagine equaling a truly great stand alone amplifier, and preamp combination, (at far greater cost, of course) much as I wish they would somehow be able to forgo the interface. Just my thoughts. Although I am truly surprised at the level sound quality, and the specific references to midrange liquidity, etc., which aligns strongly with my preferences, that the HSA-1b would appear to provide. It is  a screaming bargain if all of that is accurate, especially as it would place it in a  tiny category of solid state amplification that offers at least some meaningful modicum of cherished tube characteristics. 

JC

33 minutes ago, yyz said:

The have not released it yet. I read it was $1050 on Head-fi. I hope to get one from the RAAL dealer next week to have a listen. Though the stock cable is really working for me.

In a few posts above I said that the Sony SCD-1 via my great Benchmark HPA4 preamp into the 2 channel amp and then to the INTERFACE TO AMPLIFIER was almost as good as direct into the HSA-1b. I take that back after more comparisons. The HSA-1b is so much better. 

I also did a power cord comparison with the SR1a and the HSA-1b. Normally most "audiophile" cords that I have, Virtual Dynamics, Shunyta (sp?) and others sound similar. However, with the RAAL combo I was easily able to tell differences.  

Thanks. Any idea of the length of the cable? The original is a bit limiting.