IGNORED

24/96 and iTunes

DavidJPettifor

With my recently purchased 24-bit/96 kHz D/A Converter in place, I'm attempting to try out some of the 24/96 encoded music that is linked to here at Computer Audiophile. I have for example, downloaded NiN's "The Slip" WAV files and then using Chris's "Converting Linn Records Studio Master FLAC On Mac" (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/519), have created AIFF files at 24/96.

Next step, I drag the AIFF files into iTunes and this is where I have a problem. You see, currently, I have to convert the newly imported AIFF files once more, using iTunes, otherwise I am unable to use artwork in my tags with the AIFF files that Max has created. By converting again within iTunes, the final AIFF files can then use artwork without issue. The problem is, if I do this using a 24/96 AIFF file created with Max, when I then re-convert in iTunes, the final file shows as having a sample rate of 96.000 kHz but the sample size is only 16 bit.

How can I get iTunes to convert to the correct 24-bit/96 kHz to create my final file?

Hope that makes some sort of sense.

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

Hi David - I know exactly what you are talking about. If you look over on the left side of the screen at my newest Twitter update you'll see that I talked to Apple about this one yesterday. The news is not good and I should have an article up on the site about it fairly soon.

One possible workaround that I haven't tried yet is to convert to Apple Lossless which "should" keep the 24/96 sample rate, add the album art, then convert back to AIFF. Max should do all of this. I know it's far from ideal. More research continues.

Note: iTunes version 7.62 can still embed album art into 24 bit AIFF files. All subsequent versions have the problem.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ah, missed your twitter comment, I don't have flash enabled in this browser!

With regards the workaround, I've given it a shot, converting the WAV file to Apple Lossless, embedding the art and then converting to AIFF, all within Max. However, as is usual, when I drag the AIFF file into iTunes it copies across but no artwork is embedded.

It's not such a big deal if I don't have artwork for my 24/96 files for now, I just want to make sure this is a known issue rather than something I'm doing incorrectly.

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

• 2 weeks later...

AIFF 96/24 files can hold the cover art in iTunes 8.01. Use Max only for conversion to AIFF. Add no tags or cover art in Max. Transfer your AIFF files to iTunes and apply the cover art. It works!

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

I'm still not certain about this one. I have a 24/96 version of Rebeca Pidgeon's The Raven converted from FLAC to AIFF in MAX. It will not accept cover art.

If you have another version of the album in your library then the 24 bit version will accept the cover art from that album.

I'd love to see this working and I hope I am wrong :-)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png