IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

Looking at the innards it seems to have a NUC board for the server/streamer side of things.

That means "low power" which can result in reduced dynamics.

Not sure if the special clock can recover this aspect.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

It seems to me the MU1 is directed at audiophiles who have medium range/older non-USB DACs that might "strain" to upsample.

The price point of €9800 though would seem to to contradict this.

I think anyone who could afford that level of server would have the means to explore top-notch DACs

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

13 hours ago, nevillekapadia said:

The Grimm can output USB if so desired, and you can defeat the up or down sampling on it to provide the native signal.

I have a DAC with a USB input that upsamples everything to double DSD, but having trialled the Grimm 176.4 or 192 sampling via AES/EBU it will outshine the USB output due to it's FPGA card. 

Grimm were so entrenched in DSD earlier through their converters, that when they found out that 176.4 works better and required more stringent calculations to make it sound great, they pursued PCM.

Which DAC do you use?

In this use case, does your DAC take the AES/EBU input and upsample to DSD128?

G

On 4/11/2020 at 8:13 PM, Rexp said:

Are you referring to upsampling or in general? 

I general.

Just my understanding after reading reports from Austinpop/Romaz and other on the "novel..." thread.

G

• 2 months later...

Hi Fred,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can I ask why you use Roon volume control instead of that on your preamp?

Surely there is some loss in transparency using the software volume control.

Geoff