IGNORED

Which is the threshold for audible THD in % for untrained audiophiles ?

22 minutes ago, CG said:

Yes, it is caused by the non-linearity of the transfer function.

But, how it manifests is not exactly obvious from a harmonic measurement test or simulation.  A few hours in front of a spectrum analyzer measuring a multi-tone communications system will prove that to anybody who actually is interested.  No math analysis required.

My point is that while a simulation of pure harmonic distortion is interesting, it doesn't really replicate what happens due to that non-linearity in an actual system.  (System meaning a a bunch of components put together to produce a result - for audio, it's to eventually move some air based to stimulate a listener's aural system.)

I'm not arguing that harmonic distortion measurement is the best way to analyze non-linearity, in fact the opposite. My simulation, for example, creates a variable, user-controlled non-linearity and applies it to any test signal, including the best hi-res audiophile recording or a 1000 multi-tone test signal. There's no frequency-domain manipulation involved, other than to display the resulting spectrum. The non-linearity can be measured, simulated, reproduced, and in some cases, corrected. While it's best to analyze the whole system end-to-end, there is some significant value to be able to measure individual components.

1 minute ago, CG said:

Is the distortion frequency dependent in any way?

Slightly OT, but I'm curious...  Is there any kind of "memory" dependency available for the distortion profile?  Example: Thermal effects.

The simulation has a 'feedback' simulation that simulates the effect of a frequency-dependent negative of positive feedback. This is not meant to perfectly reproduce any specific device, but rather to let me play with various types and amounts of distortions and test myself if I can hear them. Jitter is another distortion that can be simulated and mixed with the effects of harmonic distortion, as an example.

7 minutes ago, CG said:

I'm sure you know that basic device linearity is not only a function of operating conditions, intrinsic device design, but also of frequency.  That certainly would affect the results of your simulation.  (That wasn't specifically directed at you, but at people reading...)

Agreed. That's why I said this earlier:

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

%THD is mostly meaningless, as it doesn't indicate the type or shape of non-linearity that caused the distortion. What's more, this value can change with level and frequency, so a single number is just not enough to characterize the full effect or its audibility.

7 minutes ago, CG said:

Is the jitter actual phase/frequency modulation of the entire spectrum or is it simulated by adding the resulting noise sidebands to each tone?

Jitter in DISTORT is the actual timing error added to the desired test signal. The timing of each sample is adjusted in accordance with selected modulation noise/signal (from random noise to 1/f noise to configurable sine-wave frequencies, as well as correlated signal). The sidebands and other distortions produced are the result of modifying the timing of samples, these are not artificially inserted :)

There was a reference posted to an old paper proposing a multi-tone test for harmonic distortion. Here's a monster test signal that I'm currently using :) Not something that was easy to generate in 1978, when the paper was written! This is showing non-linearity, so plenty of harmonic and inter-modulation distortion, but all below -100dB.

image.thumb.png.e18aecef1ada378d9b5626e96286219f.png